Several week ago, I came down with a strong vaginal odor. It's not fishy like you would find with a bacterial infection, and I have been to the doctor and cultured several times now, which have come back negative. I don't have the usual yeast infection symptoms of itching, disharge, etc. either. It's just this strong odor that's not pleasant. It's almost like a nasty old blood smell, which intensifies after intercourse. What could this be? I've been on two antibiotics, which didn't get rid of it. I'm taking supplements now including acidophilus, bifidus, echinacea, and vitamin C to see if a more natural route works. Other than that, I'm at a loss. This is NOT a normal thing for me, and I find it quite embarrassing. I have no pain, no abnormal discharge, no itching.

Are you sure it's not a retained tampon? I had the same symptoms you had--not so much a fishy smell but an old blood smell. I went to the docs twice and they didn't find anything and all tests results came back negative too. Finally, one day I just reached up in there felt the foreign object and pulled it out. I was so grossed out but thankful that I spared my doc from having to remove it. I'm not sure why she didn't see it in the first place but you can't imagine how relieved I felt once I finally realized what the problem was.

I hope that helps!

It doesn't have to be because of the tampons. Vaginal odor is normal and for your vagina is normal to be a slight odor. But, a strong vaginal odor, or as they call it a "fishy" smell, might be abnormal and could indicate to several problems. Definitely, there are chances that you're suffering from an infection. If this odor increases right after sex, it could be because of bacterial vaginosis, a condition marked by an overgrowth of bacteria that upsets the vagina's delicate PH balance. This can be cleared up with antibiotics and in that case, there is no reason for you to be worried. 

It doesn't have to be because of the tampons, I agree with this fact. I was using tampons and I never had problems with it. As soon as I noticed that I am dealing with weird, stinky vaginal odor , I visited my doctor. Generally, I am a coward when I notice that there is something wrong with me. I had intercourse with one guy that I knew from the club. There was too much alcohol and I was alone back then, so we had sex without using a protection. I knew it that he was a "macho", but I was not able to think about it in that moment. So, as soon as I woke up next morning, I notice a weird vaginal odor that becomes very stinky. So, I went to see the gynecologist, and  I had a yeast infection. 

I have the same thing too... I thought maybe it was a retained tampon, and but i've been checked for that too.. it is not a bloody smell, it's almost like a plastic smell. it seems to be almost like stale urine, but after a few days it went away. I thought I was just dehydrated. but now it is back again.
There is pain kind of at the top of my vagina.. almost like a UTI, but I've been checked and no UTI. The smell is so strong, it lingers for a few minutes even after i've flushed and left the area. Any one been able to figure this out?

Best of luck to all of us.

:$

Hi, I'm struggling with the same problem. I was wondering if you ever found out the cause of the smell?

I have had the exact smell. I notice though it comes almost everytime I'm nearing a period, and at the end of the day. It only started a few months ago, does anyone have any answers on this yet?

Glad I found this site, I have been suffering from this for the past 4 years. I have been seen by my OB & two urologists. My OB doc said it was from decreased hormones. I have tried Estrogen, acidophillus, femanol & antibiotics. The work for a while, but come back. Thought I was in this alone, I have the same symptoms as everyone here. Has anyone found a cure? This is embarrassing & getting worse! No std's or clue to what is going on, I just want it to stop!

MOB_Muffin2 wrote:

Best of luck to all of us.

:oops:

wow every detail is wat my prob is. goes away den bak. old blood kinda, stale old pee, yes no1 cums in me i use summers eve daily and recentlyim scrubbimh til its raw1

Having the SAME problem. I really hope its not a retained tampon, but how could it be? surely you would remember you left one up there .. You would certainly feel it? Reaaaally dont wanna go to the docs again :(

I have same problem... but have had  partial hysterectomy a year ago... Ive been on meds an nothing changes an worsens with sex!!!!! No matter how many times I wash it doesnt go away... I hate this what to do?????????????

Same problem...been to 3 doctors...any luck with you yet? Any solutions? Please share!!!

have any of you been tested for c diff, i heard that has a very very strong nasty odor or VRE

Sounds like bacterial vaginosis (think thats how its spelled)!! A sister and friend suffer with it and you do know who's been to the bathroom before you without knowing who it actually was.

Taking antibiotics can kill good bacterias in your vagina, so yeasts can find a chance to increase a lot and cause troubles. Discuss it with your doctor and you will probably get prescription for some cheap ointments and capsules.