I am a new diabetic patient with type 2 diabetes and I haven't been to see a dietician yet but would like to start on something as soon as possible as far as my diet is concerned.  I know that carbohydrates will be limited in any case but I am not sure how many protein grams or fat grams are allowed a day or if I don't have to count them.  I love fruit but will I be able to eat much of it once I start a diabetic meal plan?  I am not fond of vegetables so much but i will eat potatoes, corn, peas, carrots, and lettuce in a salad.  I would like to eat those but not so much of broccoli, green beans, or tomatoes.  I know that vegetable are better for me than bread or pasta, but I just don't like them.  I do love pasta (spaghetti, mac and cheese to name a couple) but  it is full of carbohydrates.  Will I be able to eat them at all?  I hope someone can explain the diet to me a little bit to let me know what to expect in living as a diabetic.

You will be allowed any type of carbohydrate on your diet but you will have to know how many grams of carbohydrates are in each serving of food.  You will be given a number of carb units for each meal.  A unit is equal to 15 grams of carbohydrate. You can eat between 3-4 carb units at each meal for the most part.  This will be equivalent to 45-60 grams of carbs per meal.  The dietician will help you with your meal planning.  You can put a piece of fruit (which is about 15 grams) in your lunch meal and still have 45 grams of carbohydrates to use.  It will get easier to plan your meals as time goes on.