I am diabetic and eaten all wrong things today. My doctor has given me a diet I should follow but I find it difficult to do so. I take care of my children's food first and then find I can't eat the things I prepare for them. My kids are so picky about what they eat. But, I think they are not eating properly either. My friends tell me that preventing diabetes starts when you are young by eating properly then. I just don't have time to make separate meals for all of us. I need something quick, healthy and easy to clean up that is good for all of us. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can prepare that meets all of our requirements and at the same time is easy and quick?

It is well established that good eating habits start when we are young and they last for a lifetime. Children who eat healthy foods are less likely to develop diabetes later in life. Although, it may be difficult, see if you can align your children's diet around yours. You can start by introducing a few healthy foods so they can get used to it like more fresh veggies and fruits. Stay away from commercial cereals that are high in sugar and low in fiber. Try breakfast foods such as oatmeal. If they need a little sugar, honey or maple syrup (honey, maple syrup or agave is best) that's okay in the beginning. Try adding some fruit to this as well like blueberries, strawberries, apples or bananas for example. You know you can eat that stuff. You might try adding an egg (poached or hard boiled for more protein and vitamins). Make a game of it and tell your children that eating properly may prevent diabetes when they are older. Tell them that they are helping you to keep healthy so you can be around a long time to take care of them.

See if you can keep your children away from potato chips, sodas, candy and French fries. That way you won't be tempted to cheat. Better yet, just don't buy the stuff. If its not in the house you can't eat it. Try to eat at home as often as you can to prevent from eating foods that you shouldn't. Make sure to work as a team at all times to keep morale high. Before long, you'll be eating healthy naturally.