My boyfriend has been on heroin and methadone for about 20 yrs and 2 yrs ago decided to give up heroin, He had a methadone prescription of 150ml a day but has slowly been reduced over the last 2 yrs, He was down to 23ml a day but says he cant handle it and that it is effecting his life to the point of killing himself, So he has decided to go back on heroin and to stop taking his methadone, that was so he can get the methadone out of his system for a month and then go back on the methadone and reduce much faster, he seems to think that it wont have as much effect on his body. can anyone give me some advice on this as i am going out of my mind on what to do next   

Hi ShazzyJ,

I think that he is doing the absolute wrong thing right now.  I don't have any experience with this but I think he is just feeding into his addiction and coming off of heroin and the life style is going to be difficult to give up the second or third or fourth time, every time it gets more difficult.  He needs to stop immediately!

Reality is tough on anyone let alone someone who hasn't dealt with it for so long.  You need to get some info yourself, have you thought about joining NA for the support you need as well? 

Good luck and hope this helps and others can help you too.

Thank you and I think i will get some more info from his clinic, Im not sure what NA is ?

Narcotics Anonymous - just like AA meetings but for narcotic addiction. They are there to give you support and info during this time from your partner's perspective.