I began treatment for Morton's neuroma in August. After taking the cortisone injections, and then neurolysis (alcohol) injections, I had surgery on Dec 5. It took me a good two weeks to stop taking the pain pills and putting ice on my foot.

My problem now is that it seems to swell during the night and it takes a couple of hours to be able to get my shoe on that foot. I can wrap it with the ACE bandage when I get up in the morning and wear it with the boot and it goes down faster and then I can get my shoe on.

The pain is still on top of the foot where the incision is which has almost healed and on the ball on the bottom which feels like a knot in what would be where the nerve was taken out. The doctor said the neuroma was very involved. This is the tenderest part of the foot and I am wondering when this is going to get better. It does seem to be getting better, but I am wondering how long it is going to take. I cannot walk on the foot for very long and I still limp a bit because it is uncomfortable to walk on the bottom. I go back to the doctor on the 8th of Jan.

Thank you for any understanding you might lend.

I had my surgery on Nov. 17, 2006 and have only been wearing regular shoes for 2 weeks now. ( It is Jan. 10) My doctor told me, since my neuroma was so big, I would develop a blood clot in that spot since the body wants to fill the space in with something. So, he has advised me to soak my foot and massage the ball of my foot where the hard knot (blood clot) is everyday. It is a slow process, but it does seem to be very slowly decreasing. He said I can go and get a shot ( I think a steroid shot) to help dissolve it quicker, but since it is decreasing in size, he thinks it's best to give it time.

I was hoping someone else might have advice on a speedier method than just the soaking. I still limp, but am not really in too much pain. I'm just impatient and am wanting to walk normally again.

D Riffel

I am still limping when I walk 8 weeks after my neuroma surgery. The incision is still tender and the foot always hurts me at bedtime. In addition, the area near the incision is still a little swollen, so I cannot lace the one shoe as tightly as the other, as the foot is still swollen in "depth."

I have 2 friends who had the same surgery by the same podiatrist and they were "back in the saddle" within four weeks.

This is very discouraging.

Darhon

I am in the same boat as you. Six weeks and the swelling is finally subsiding. The whole width along the ball of my foot was swollen, but it seemed like overnight it dwindled down to just where the "void" should now be. Feels like a big knot there now. Not much pain, but I do have to concentrate on trying to walk "normally" again. Feel a pull in my ankle when I try to point my toes. Must come from walking on my heel for 6 weeks - shrunk up the muscles or tendons or something. Numbness in 3rd and 4th toes still feels akward. I'm confident that it'll do well in the next couple of weeks. Just a little anxious and feeling like a limping wimp!! Good luck!

I had neuromas removed from both feet 7 months ago . I hurt more now than before I had the surgery. Post surgery I did the foot soaks and massaged the site as instructed and even have taken the cortaseriod pills perscribed 4 times now to help with the swelling and shooting electric pain . I STILL feel like I am walking with marbles in my shoes - but the marbles are bigger now. It is so bad that I can't wear any of my shoes that I wore before surgery still - I've bought those rubbery 'croc' shoes because they cousion the bumps on the bottom of my feet . I am not sure what to do - I really dont want surgery again , HELP!

And I am kinda scared of having the surgery now!!! I am 16 and I have had my Neuroma for one year... and my mom just made my surgery for next week... but now I'm starting to think that keeping my neuroma would be a better solution? I'm kinda scared of having the surgery cause I guess that I might've had a blood clot in my leg because my legs would swell up for no reason (I think it's from the neuroma, but everyone else seems to thing differently...) But my aunt also had a clot and my mom and my grandpa... Should I ask my doctor about my body trying to fill in the space and could make a blood clot? Or am I just worrying about absolutely nothing?

Hi. I just had the neuroma removed from right foot last friday after trying everything else (including orthotics,cortisone injections, and cryosurgery). This has been ongoing for over a year. So far I am getting along pretty good. I have the walking boot on and am able to get around my house. I will go see the dr this thursday to get the bandage changed etc.
My neuroma pain is gone and I am only experiencing surgery pain. I am off my foot and have been icing it regularly during the day. If my recovery continues as well as it has so far then I will be extremely pleased.
I am an avid walker and my dr has assured me that I will be able to walk for exercise as soon as I am healed.

My neuroma only bothered me after excercising for 30+ min and was ok the rest of the time. My Podiatrist explained that they don't go away on their own. Mine was getting worse, I tried one cortizone shot (it only worked for two days). I bought custom orthodics (no help) and wide shoes with a deep toe box (comfy but not the answer). Being the active mom of twin girls that are about to start walking, I figured now's the time to get the surgery done. I followed my doc's instructions to have no weight on it for 3 days. My foot remained at or above heart level at all times with the exception for bathroom breaks. On the fourth day he told me to start walking on it. I took vicodin the first couple days after the surgery because I was afraid of the pain. I don't believe I even needed them. My toes remained numb for a couple of days, but now, I only feel the numbness between my toes and little numb on the bottom of them (that was expected). Walking on it with the boot is no big deal, right now it feels gross because my foot is swollen and it feel squishy. The bandage is dried out and is itching the top of my foot. My appoint is tomarrow to get a smaller bandage and change dressing. Time will tell how my story unfolds.
LL

I have am recovering for the Surgery on 4/16/09. As of now things are going well. No infections. I can move around but am not supposed to. I can see wht a lot of people have trouble with the Recovery. You gotta keep your feet up at Heart level or above. It is difficult to do! If you live alone its Harder. I have people here that can do things for me, but I find that I want to get up to get lunch or a drink or the book over on the table. You really can't though. you gotta keep your feet up! I will post again as Things progress. I also had Hammer Toes Corrrected on each foot. did I mention that I had surgery to remove Neuromas from Both feet at the same time? The Right foot had a large one 6 cm or whatever and the left was 4. There is numbness in my feet a little, some pain, but so far I think that everything will be good.

I've had Morton's Neuroma for two years now. I had corizone shots, alcohol injections, shoe inserts, etc. Nothing worked. I didn't want the surgery because I've read so many stories about people having bad results. About three weeks ago, I got really sick and spent the night in the hospital. They gave me a magnesium IV because I was so deficient. The next day, I noticed that I couldn't feel my neuroma--it seemed to be gone. That lasted a few days, and then I felt the pain coming back. I started taking a lot of Magnesium and soaking at night in Mineral baths and Epsom salts (which is magnesium sulfate). Again, the neuroma seems to be gone. I'm convinced our bodies don't have enough magnesium, and loading up with it seems to take away neuroma pain.Code:

My wife had a mortons neuroma operation 10 months ago and still cannot walk properly, have read of lots of people with similar symptoms on ths website, burning pain underneath foot is the worst, feels like having a hard stone in her shoe, worse at night, wierd sensation in toes, has anyone found a solution? Please !!!

I had surgery on my right foot years ago. I am contemplating surgery on the left. The main way I kept the left foot in good shape to avoid surgery was icing. It dulls the nerves and reduces tissue swelling. As for what helped post op, therapeutic massage helped to ease the swelling. It seemed to actually drain the tissues. It was immensely helpful. I still have some scar tissue but ongoing massage helps with that as well.

I agree with the guest who discussed the use of magnesium in treating their neuroma. I have had mine for over a year and waited so long to go see the podiatrist that I now have a little bit of permanent nerve damage on the 4th toe of my left foot. I had two steroid injections with very limited results that lasted only a few days each. I finally decided to just live with the pain and avoid cute shoes! By coincidence, I purchased some chelated magnesium tablets and magnesium oil to help my husband manage his atrial fibrilliation. I also downloaded the book The Magnesium Miracle, by Dr. Carol Dean, MD. My husband and I have been using the mag oil and tablets for a little over a week now. A couple of days ago it dawned on me that I no longer felt pain in my foot! I still have a little numbing sensation from the nerve damage, but the neuroma appears to be totally gone. I learned that magnesium can help so many systems in the body, including nerve regulation, but I never thought about it helping my neuroma. BTW, my husband's A-Fib is also much better, in fact he has not had an episode since we started the magnesium suppliments. I hightly reccomend people learn more about magnesium before rushing out for what is a very difficult and not always successful surgery.

I had surgery for my neuroma on Aug. 17th and couldn't even tolerate it if my foot was not elevated due to the blood rushing to my foot. They did not give me crutches, so I had to get them from someone I knew b/c I couldn't walk!!!! I saw the Dr. on Aug. 30th to have all the bandages and the stitches removed and until that point had not even touched my foot to the floor due to the pain. The vicodin only took the edge off the pain. It did get better in that I felt better after a week in a sitting position if my leg was elevated. (At first, even just this was very painful). Anyway, the Dr. was pretty tough on me, telling me I should have been walking already, that it was as bad as it was from inactivity and lack of bloodflow (meanwhile I called the office 2x to report the level of pain, but he was away, and the P.A. told me it was normal, and to keep it elevated and ice it, never telling me to force the walking thru all my pain). I couldn't even dangle my leg!! The Dr. then pushed under the incision area, hard, stretching my foot, and I almost hit the roof, saying I was babying it. He made me stand on it. I will say that he did push me to start walking and I've made amazing progress in 4 days w/ Physical Therapy and working through the pain. I even ditched the last crutch yesterday. I am still in the surgical boot though. The swelling has decreased dramatically, but I cannot put any of my shoes on my foot comfortably. I did fit a croc (which I hate & only got to go to a muddy Jazzfest) but the rubber is irritating to the top of my toes which are still very bruised and raw. I am also walking on the left side of my foot as I still can't put my foot down flat (it's my left foot).
Shoe suggestion????
I am hoping someone has a suggestion for a good shoe to get that would be wide in the front, open in the toes, lightweight, much like the crocs, but not rubber, and nice and cushy and soft. Everything is squeezing aroung my foot, yet the surgical boot feels like it may be feeling a bit loose.

I had surgery on the 12 of October for 4 neauromas in both feet this was my second operation in 18mths for them, 4 weeks now and i am still in pain and unable to wear shoes, under my right foot i have a lump sticking out like the size of a pee should i be worried ?? both feet are very tender to touch underneath,when i was discharged the first time after my operation i was told i had to massage them with oil quite vigorously, this time i have not been told to do anything to them,i still have stitches sticking our of both feet that the nurse left when she trimmed them is there anything i should be doing after surgery my husband thinks i should be resting them as much as possible to try and prevent them growing back again,Please help any advise. kind regards julie.. :-(