Has anyone ever done one? I've been invited to join a team and do a couple this year. Looks like fun but I have orienteered with a map since I was in basic training 20 years ago........

I havn't done one.

Is it a one day race or the full monty?

From what I have been told it is a 6am start and the course closes at 7pm. Mountain biking, trail running, water navigation and orienteering. Last year my friend said they finished the course in 11 hours and placed 13th, seems they got a little wet in the water part of the race. I've done a bit of searching online and it seems there are quite a few of these events starting up but they have a pretty stiff entry fee it seems, $300 to $500 per team, that is a bit out of my league plus all the new gear one would need to buy but I think I can beg, borrow or steal most of the stuff I will need to try them for this year.

I've always thought it would be cool to do one, but not for that money. Maybe for my next race I can bring along a Garmin and pretend I am searching for the finish line!

I absoloutely LOVE it!!! I did the Hi-Tec race in CT twice and loved it!! One was a night event which was so much more fun. If it's a Hi-Tec the wall is mandatory now-which is my downfall. But you can help other teams and they can help you. I did it with two of my guy friends. Which one are you considering? The races ususally limit the number of entries so it dosen't get overly crowded.
Team dynamics is key. We usually ran and biked together on the weekends and a week day if we had time. That way we were use to eachother's paces and tendencies. I could see how it wouldn't be as much fun if you weren't familiar with your teammates. The special tests vary from physical (we had to carry a railroad post thing thru a mud pit up to my hips) to mental (blindfolded a teammate and had to instruct him how to put it together).
I would still do it but the race last year was on the same day as another race I did. And same this year. You can PM me if you want more detailed info on the race and special tests.