Has anyone tried fast walking? I watched it on the Olympic Games and I liked it, especially for the reason that it didn’t seem to be so strenuous and exhausting like running. Is there any special technique to be mastered or I can start practicing on my own? Does it have the same effects like running? I plan to switch from running to fast walking.

14. I don’t think it’s as simple as that. It seems to me that there is a particular technique of moving your legs and hips while fast walking. And I remember once hearing that one of the feet must always be on the ground, or it’s considered as running. Several athletes were disqualified from a race for not following that rule. Besides I think that it takes time to learn that hip movement and if you ask me I’d rather run no matter how exhausting it is, than walk like that. I always think that my hips would hurt during fast walking. And the breathing technique probably differs from running, so it’s better stick to it. Anyway, if you still insist on fast walking, better find somebody who is a pro walker and consult him. Don’t try it on your own.