Ever since my 10k last Sunday I have suffered serious motivational issues. I haven't run since and I had 3 cigarettes yesterday. I haven't had one in years. I am pretty depressed about the whole thing. I feel just so tired, work sucks and I am so far behind in home life stuff and bills. I need to get out there without a training agenda I think. Just to enjoy. I think I bit off more then I could chew signing up for a half (thats what started all this running biz) with only 6 months of training starting from scratch. Sorry I am rambling.

We all go through these cycles and after a race can be a let down from all the excitement and preperation. You should except the slight downturn. You need it to recharge mentally and physically.

Go out and run for fun. Leave the watch at home you are not training. You will know when you are ready to train again.

As Tribob said, leave the watch at home and get out there for some fun runs. The key is to get yourself out the door, maybe run some new routes, don't even track the distance. Soon you will be back in the swing of things and loving it! Good Running!

I hate these slumps. Like Tribob said, leave the watch at home. Promise yourself you can quit after 2 miles if you still feel like it. Most of the time I keep going. (I think I've quit once)

As for the other stuff, you can work it out, most of us have been there too.

I'm gonna disagree with the group on this one too!

How did you get yourself out of the lifestyle you were in before you started running? You made a plan. And then you followed that plan.

Do the same thing now.

Tribob is right that we go through these downturns, especially after the buildup of an upcoming race. So that's all the more reason to design and plan what you want to do and how you're going to do it.

Just my devil's advocate two cents.

Hey teammate, check out the Calendar link above. Cappy already has next week's points activities listed. You could get started on those early. Once the campaign gets going that's bound to motivate you and help you feel better.

Go run somewhere where there's other runners around (HS track, park, trail...) That usually does it for me!

Hey. We all get into slumps of different sorts.

Think of the work it took to make a change in your previous lifestyle and make the turn again (like Flarunner said). You can do it!

The rollercoaster we are on in life is not always fair and is a real challenge. The best way to get through it is to "trudge" on. Some days are good and some days are bad. The greatest accomplishment is that you make it through whatever you're faced with and strive to do your very best.

Look at what you've done so far...reflect...climb back on!

Above all else, don't beat yourself up for the 3 cigs. Ok, so it's been awhile. You slipped. It's ok. We all slip at something.

Forgive yourself, tomorrow is a new, clean slate.

As long as you are beating yourself up, you can't find the energy to pick up and keep going. (We are our own worst enemies) If we're beating ourselve up, we can't fix what's wrong.

Start by reminding yourself of the positive things you have done today. If not today, then this past week. If not this week, then the last few weeks.

Focus on how you've turned your life around and made improvements.

Build on the improvements you have made.

It sounds silly, but it does work to help keep you positive.

The minute you start feeling guilty/or negative--remind yourself about one positive thing (no matter how small) you've done lately.

You've done awesome!!! A 10k is amazing, most Americans will never know that joy. You are part of an elite crowd, if you ask me! :dance2:

:toobad: you know, you're doing just fine as far as your running is going. what is it that you like about running? think about that, and go run a favorite route...or even better...when i'm down in the dumps i like to find somehwere far away and just discover the area...the experience alone will make you smile. sometimes running at key times during the morning or evening, like sunset or sunrise...it's really inspiring...just be safe and wear something that lets automobile drivers know you're there. feel better. :wavey:

Shelly

What they all said! :)

You might also want to try mapping out the distances you will need to run each day until your 1/2. That way you will know what you have to do without thinking about it and then block that time off on your calendar.

It helps me to stay focused when everything else seems to be going nuts!

Very, very good advice here.

I know all about let down after a big race. It happens to all of us.

Don't beat yourself up about the cigs either... it was just a slip, and just get yourself back on track. The fact that you felt bad about it...was a good thing, actually. You are telling yourself that you are better than that.

And...you are!

:coach: to Christa!
Now get out there, and enjoy yourself!