started something cooking with the intention of going for a run while it was simmering, then bailed on your run cuz it was starting to smell good and you just couldn't wait?

Nope.

Nope.
:1: I don't leave anything cooking when I leave the house.

Major safety rule number one ahead of any safety rule you may have ever heard about :

NEVER LEAVE COOKING FOOD UNATTENDED !!!!

Please note crock pots are exempt from this rule...

No. :| You're right n we're all wrong. :o

well, actually, I was just simmering some chicken breasts with onion and spices, then I was going to turn it off and let it sit while I went for a short 3 or 4 miler in the hood.....but I started playing on the computer, so I figured I would then just make a casserole and put it in the oven and go for the run, but then, I don't know, something, whatever, yada yada yada......now there is a big pan of chicken with mixed vegetables, cream of chicken soup, tortillas, a bit of salsa mixed in, cheese on top, all bubbling through a layer of golden brown bisquits.......

oh, and it's cold out and House is coming on in a few minutes and..........

That's good advice. I couldn't begin to guess how many times - at all hours of the day and night - that I went on fire runs with the report that smoke was coming from a house. And almost all of the time, the only damage done was from smoke...and the old "food on the stove" smell was pretty easy to detect, too. However...
I'd agree that it's a bad idea to leave the house with food cooking on the stove. But it wouldn't be my number one rule. That would be: Never leave your house with candles burning, especially if you have a cat.