Hi All, I have type 2 diabetes (T2) for almost 2 years now. I recently had an HbA1c of 5.6. What I'm curious is what does this mean? I'm I okay or is there something I need to worry about? I realize there's no cure for my disease but if I keep going the way I'm doing things now, will I be okay or do I need to make changes now? Should I keep testing before and after meals the way I'm doing to keep an eye on things? I'm still relatively new to all of this and I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello, From what you tell me, you are doing very well and you should be very happy with ourself. It's good that you realize that you have a disease that essentially there is no current cure for and yet you take it well. You've obviously gotten control of your diet and have good management of you BG levels. Testing your BG levels is important to maintaining proper levels. Don't stop testing and test as much as you like so long as you have strips and a monitor to do so. Try to keep healthy. Try to stay away from environments that expose you to flu and colds. Remember, keeping infection out is important as that is the first thing that will destabilize your BG levels making it almost impossible to maintain control. For many diabetics, its important to take supplements. It's possible that you may have a vitamin deficiency particularly with the B vitamins (B12 specifically) and vitamin D as well. Get a hold of a good multivitamin supplement if you can and take them regularly. You might consider taking a supplement that boosts the immune system as well. Every bit counts. Vitamin A, E and C are important for that.