I recently found out that my girlfriend has herpes and then just yesterday I found out that she might have also contracted HIV. Should I be tested or should I just wait for the tests to comeback and see if she has it first? I need some help! What are the symptoms of HIV?

The symptoms that do appear, which usually disappear within a week to a month, may include: fever, headache, malaise, enlarged lymph nodes. Persistent or severe symptoms may not surface for 10 years or more, after HIV first enters the body in adults, but this "asymptomatic" period of the infection is highly variable from person to person. Some people develop frequent and severe herpes infections that cause mouth, genital, or anal sores, or a painful nerve disease. However, the symptoms of an HIV infection may resemble other medical conditions, so you need to be tested and your girlfriend too.