Please help! I recently returned from vacation in Thailand and got a slight sore throat for about a week when I returned home. Don't think it's a big deal since about 8 people at work all had the same thing (bug going around). The very next week, my shoulders and neck started to ache. I have been poking my lymph nodes every day to see if they are sweeling. Low and behold, they are sore (maybe I did this myself). They are not visible but I can feel them in my neck and clavicle. Being a hypochondriac, I went and got an HIV test (neg), Complete Blood Count (CBC), strep test, and Mon test. Everything came back fine. Can anyone answer the following? 1. It may be too early to detect HIV but since my CBC white count was normal, can I rule out HIV (I have none of the "flu" like symptoms) because it's viral? 2. Since my CBC was normal, should my nodes be swelling or could the stress and anxiety (which is killing me!) be causing it in my head. Other than my nodes, I feel great (except for anxiety and stress). Would love to hear someone else's opinion.

Well DG by now I'm sure you've figured out if you have HIV or not. The general time for the viral load to become detectable is between 6 months to a year. My caution to you is you should only be worried about infection if you exposed yourself to HIV (Unprotected sex or if  someone else's blood entered your body). From what it sounds like I think you just caught a bug from work or something. Remember it's normal to get sick. If your still worried then continue to get tested every 6 months. Hope you found your answers sooner, for those recently reading this with the same worries, I hope it helped.

Just relax,

I went into depression due to the same reasons. When you look for things you will find things, just live your normal life I went from one thing to the next, take my best advise just relax and live, stop studying the HIV thing, eat well and may be you can take a test in another 6-8 months.