My pap smear showed abnormal results, which made me worry. The doctor told me HSIL is the problem. I know just a little about that, not enough to understand. I want to hear something more about HSIL. Also I want to know what follow up options I have.

HSIL means High Grade Squamosus Intraepithelial Lession. This condition includes CIN II and CIN III which are abnormal condition of the cells of the cervix. It is considered to be precancerous, that’s why it is very important to notice this kind of change during checking Pap smear. HSIL may be characterized by long lead time before development into cancer. When this condition is detected early and treated, there are great chances to completely eliminate abnormal cells before development into cervical cancer. It’s practice that approximately 1% of all Pap tests result in a diagnosis of HSIL. It is very important to understand that HSIL does not necessarily mean that you currently have cervical cancer. Follow up options for you are colposcopy, which is additional test that uses instrument to view cervix directly. Then you can take biopsy, which is removal small tissue sample. It is sent to laboratory for studying under microscope. Follow up options when you are diagnosed with HSIL are also and endocervical curettage, cryotherapy, laser therapy and cone biopsy.