Few days ago I had Pap smear and gynecologist found it’s abnormal. He wants to perform coloscopy. I know that should be done to detect eventually cancer of the cervix at an early stage. I would like to know how I should prepare for that, and when I will get the results. Also, I would like to know a little bit more about this technique.

Coloscopy is a way gynecologist examine genitals, vagina and cervix closely. That is an instrument that shines light on that structures and magnifies the view for your doctor. At the start examing you should place your feet as you do while Pap smear. Then gynecologist inserts a speculum into your vagina and opens it slightly. That’s how he will be able to see cervix. After he done that, gynecologist applies a vinegar solution to cervix and vagina with a cotton ball or swab. Prepare yourself by empting bladder and bowels before this procedure. Also, don’t douche or have sexual intercourse during the 24 hours before coloscopy. Pathologist will look at your biopsy samples and report your doctor about it after 1 or 2 weeks. They will contact you when results are available and when you should make a follow-up appointment to perform therapy if you maybe need it.

I have had this done. and i was wondering is it possible to pass this to a man if u have unprotected sex. Will he get warts? how does that work? i just have low grade and i wanted to know what will happen if i have unprotected sex.

You were found to have warts but they are like inside and barely visible..or?
Warts are caused by a virus called Human Papilloma Virus and yes, it is contagious and transmitted by skin-to-skin contact. Sometimes, condoms are not safe as well but certainly reduce the risk.

You can get warts on your mouth or throat if you have oral sex with an infected person.
Do you have any warts on the outside.

I was also found to have warts on the cervix and suggested to have them removed instantly by a laser. I effused that because I know this doc had private practice as well, and performs a laser treatment only at this private practice so I thanked no.

I went to another clinic to have it checked, and yes,I was found to have them but the doc said they were way too small and that I shouldn’t do anything but only watch them closely. I had one more exam a year after and they were still small and the doc didn’t want to do anything about it.

Then I went abroad and had an exam there as well, and was found to have no warts. Maybe they were in a remission or something.

Anyway, I have had unprotected sex with my boyfriend before I was found and of course after. He had/has no troubles what so ever, no symptoms, no warts……so, I don’t know what to think.

Have you been suggested any of the possible treatments.

I know that small warts are usually treated by freezing, burning and a laser treatment and the big warts are treated by some special creams and solutions. The problem is that having them removed doesn’t protect you from developing the symptoms again and from development of the new warts because the virus stays forever in our bodies.

yeah i had the warts removed by i think acid. they were burned off. i dont get them alot just every now and then i get it removed. but i had sex unprotected with someone and it was when i didnt have the warts . (but i still have the abnormal cells on my cervix) so i guess i would still be passin the virus to him right?

I know of course i can pass it if the warts are present by skin to skin contact...but what about when the warts are not present?

I’m afraid that we can pass them then as well. Although the transmission is almost certain with visible warts, the infectious period may last some time before and after warts appear. Unfortunately, it is not known how long this infectious period may last.

Some people may have subclinical HPV infection when warts are not present and pass the virus anyway.

I can’t believe you had them treated a couple of times! Are your warts visible? Where do you have them? I was also advised to have a laser surgery to have them removed. However, mine were small and because of the recurrence I said no.

My last colposcopy showed no presence of the warts. I was wondering if they could have disappeared just like that due to body’s natural defense system or something.

I had the warts on the outside on my vagina. So i had to get that removed. She said that they are nothing but a cosmetic problem at this point and it's good that i noticed them so soon because they can spread if not removed. I get them probably 3 times a year. They are noticeable so i dont want them! I had them burned off with a tiny bit of acid. just a slight sting. then i had my pap smear done and she saw the abnormal cells on my cerivx and then did the coloscopy. she said it was low grade and i waited a yr to have to examined again. she said it still looked the same. so she said the body heals it on its own unless its high risk they remove it. but since its low grade she said just wait some more and we will look at it again.

Oh, you were found abnormal cells on the cervix? Did she say it was a cervical dysplasia? These are precancerous cells that grow and change very slowly and it may take years to notice any change.

Did your gyno order a test to see which strains of HPV you have? I remember that my gyno said we could do that when I was found to have those small warts 2-3 years ago but she also said it was a very expensive test and that there wasn’t hurry to do so.
I think it is strains 16 and 18 that are found in precancerous and cancerous cells but some other strains have the potential as well.

Are you taking birth control pills? They are also suspected of contributing to cervical dysplasia but it is not known whether it is due to excessive estrogen, or the fact that the pills interfere with folic acid that prevents dysplasia or the fact that girls who use the pills are more upon to std’s than the girls who use condoms.

You should know that both smoking and bad nutrition could aggravate the condition.

I had the procedure done last thursday. over a week ago. and last night my guy friend fingered me and i started bleeding alot. and im still bleeding a lil. Is this normal? should i have waitied longer for any sexual activity? i feel like i have cramps now. :-( could he have just irritated that part they took the tissue sample from?

Yes, you probably did it too early. It is advised to refrain from any sexual activities as well as using tampons for at least two weeks. Even without fingering, you could have experienced minor bleeding and cramping and I guess that your boyfriend’s fingers only aggravated already sensitive cervix from biopsy.

It is possible that you will experience some sort of discharge from biopsy, so don’t be alarmed if this happens. If your bleeding doesn’t stop, go and see your gynecologist and she will make it stop either by applying some pressure to the cervix or applying some silver nitrate on it. If you develop fever, or strong pelvic or abdominal pain, see your doc right away to check for possible infections.

I was diagnosed with hpv low grade infection. My gynecologist did a coloscopy and a biopsy, I continued to have low grade pap smears so I had the leep therapy done which was unsucessful. I have now begun to bleed when a pap smear is done on the cervix, the Doctor thinks its from the leep procedure done. Or could it be cancer or some other problem.. She has treated me for infections but it doesn't seem to help.

I know this has been posted over a year ago, but in case people who search the net come across this site I wanted to share some information. HPV is a virus. I don't want to freak anyone out but viruses are with us for good and they affect our immune system and in return are affected by our immune system...the HP virus (HPV) can go into remission if you take care of yourself and stay healthy (eat well, be cautious when having sex and try to be protected as much as possible, exercise, etc). If your immune system is out of whack, they could come back and cause dysplasia which then could cause cervical cancer... but this takes years. You need to stay healthy and get routine check ups and coloscopies at least once a year, preferably ever 6 months for the rest of your life, and you will be fine. As for transmitting it, you can...even if you are not showing any signs of warts or if your paps are coming back as normal, you always carry the virus and therefore you can always pass the virus.

Should some be pregnant during this examination...what if any harm is there to the baby?

6 weeks you will wait for results, and its like a hot loop what will be inserted inside you to remove any abnormality.