Is it common to have homosexual thoughts after being diagnosed with Psychosis? My son was recently hospitalized for manic psychotic behavior and has been expressing thoughts of being gay. This is his first occurrence and hospitalization for this condition and has never expressed these types on feelings in the past. He has had several female acquaintances and relationships prior to this episode and I don’t understand why theses thoughts may be occurring. He is currently taking Risperdal and Klonopin to try and take back control of his sanity. I have done a lot of research on these meds and it doesn't appear that these thoughts are a side effect of the medication. Has anybody else experienced these kinds of thoughts with their loved ones?

Yes, actually, it is typical. The thing is that he is an anxious person and that's why he's on klonopin to begin with. Typically these thoughts are expressions of an unwanted thought--a lot of confirmed homosexuals tend to worry about 'turning straight' so it's a pretty common occurrence. If it turns out that your son IS gay, it is not because of the meds. DOes that help you at all?

Hello there. I am very curious how the situation is now with your son. My boyfriend is in a psychosis right now at the moment and he is sure he is gay. I don't know if it is the psychosis or the thruth.

I experienced a drug induced psychotic episode 2 years ago and part of it brought HOCD obsessions to the surface. It was a very confusing time for me. I was partly 'coming out' to my family and doctors but there was no evidence to support it. This was among other delusions including 'truman show' type delusions and mind reading delusions. I am not gay. 

Following your drug induced psychosis, firstly how long did it last? And secondly are you able to consume drugs (including alcohol), or does that make the psychosis come back? I've had/am having the same issue

yes my 21 year old seems to be focused in strange ways on such thoughts but many many others as well in psychosis

How long does it last for?

For me, I thought it was just OCD/anxiety (HOCD) causing me to have gay thoughts and I was pushing feelings away because I didn't see myself as being gay nor had I ever acted out on any desires and I'm 24 now. Turns out, I went to therapy for HOCD and the relentless gay thoughts and it was because I actually was gay and never wanted to come to terms with it especially since I was able to have sex and relationships with women. I went through a very anxious and depressive stage and finally had to open up to people after all the years of hoping it was a phase (that never went away) and internalizing it and once I got to that point, I went through a very psychotic phase because of my homophobia and my life feeling like it was a lie. I would give it time and deffintely seek counseling, but don't be surprised if he is attracted to the same sex or he is bisexual. There is nothing he can do about it except accepting himself for who he is and learning to make the best of it. Resisting the thoughts only makes them stronger so he would have to let them in and see how he feels. If he sees himself in a relationship or sexually/romantically attracted to a guy, then most likely he is not totally heterosexual. It could also just be a phase and he thinks he is gay and has a lot of anxiety from it causing him to feel psychotic. Only he can figure out his own sexual orientation and it can take time and experimenting. This is only my experience and my opinion on possibilities but please don't base it all on what I say as everyone is different. I am only opening you and your sons options for more possbiitlites so that he can get to healing faster. I wish him the best of luck

Can I ask what happened with your boyfriend?

I'm 28 and I think I've just developed HOCD. It's nauseous and causes me to vomit. I feel spiritually dead and artificial like a modern city. I'm a virgin male and I've always liked females. What disturbs me the most are the theories that I think cause HOCD, but they are very racist and political. I'll give a PG-13 example: the Spanish casta system chart and the recent gender chart seem to be the same thing. Another: during times of aggressive politics if we participate in the fight or even pay attention to the fight we may end up like the painting Dante and Virgil.

My ex boyfriend and I moved to New York and he was hearing voices thinking there were messages and that other people could hear his thoughts like he thought he could hear there’s. It’s gotten much worse and he’s convinced he’s gay and that he completely hates me for no reason... I don’t know how to help he won’t get treated

New Member
i'm 23 and a guy and i am gay. i am attracted to guys and i don't like girls like that.only as friends.i think about guys all the time, as a matter of fact i'm actually in love with my guy best friend and he is straight. i told him exactly how i felt about him and we are still best friends with each other. he just told me not to act on how i said i felt about him. i'm gay and that's just it.