I underwent a medical abortion at 5 weeks into pregnancy. I recieved the methotrexate injections and 4 days later I administered the misoprotal vaginally. Within two days and with the second administration of the misoprotal I have experienced extreme cramping but no expulsion of tissue- No bleeding or even spotting. My next follow up is not sceduled for another 3 weeks as the nurse I was seeing is on vacation. Is it normal for bleeding not commence after the cramping as the cramping has now stopped and I have seen no typical result? Thank You.

I was also nearly five weeks pregnant when I took a combination of Misoprostol (200Mcg, 4 tablets vaginally) and Methotrexate (25Mg, orally) and nothing visible happened. I waited anxciously for 48 hours and still nothing...

Four days later I went to see my OBGYN and my urine sample and the ultrasound indicated that the pregnancy was not terminated and I am still pregnant. Since my OBGYN does not have the ability to perform abortions in her office she referred me to another doctor who does.

I had my initial consultation with a counselor, today. She explained that since the embryo was exposed to these abortion pills, the pregnancy must be terminated because there is a strong chance that critical damage has been done and there would be fetal abnormalities if I were to go through with the pregnancy.

I wanted to get more pills but after much reading and research I opted to go with a surgical abortion because these chemicals are quite harmful to my body and will stay in the system for a long time. The surgical abortion will not be performed until 6 weeks gestation because it is too small and there is a chance that it won't be removed if it's too small and then I would have to have the procedure repeated.

Terminating this pregnancy has been very difficult and this past week has been the longest week of my life! I wish I had kept the baby but now there is no going back. Can anyone tell me if they've ever heard of anyone trying to terminate a pregnancy in the mode I have and not succeeded and then kept it and the baby developed normally? Just curious. I have made up my mind that I don't want to take any chances at this point and I must terminate. It all really sucks. I should have never listened to my boyfriend. Blaming does no good. I know he wanted to do the responsible thing but the responsible thing is not necessarily the right thing.

I posted last exactly a week ago. At exactly 6 weeks gestational age, I had my appointment for a surgical abortion with the second OBGYN that my doctor referred me to. After explaining the procedure he did the routine ultrasound exam and found no pregnancy, no gestational sack. He followed up with a urine sample which still showed positive for pregnancy and then a blood test. He explained that because I had taken the methotrexate and misoprostol, it is likely that the pregnancy is no longer developing and I will be eliminating it in the next couple days BUT it must be followed up with another blood test.

The initial blood test results came the next day and still showed pregnancy hormones. Alone, this beta hCG count means nothing, it is only a reference number and needs to be followed with another blood exam for comparison. If the number goes up, the pregnancy is developing, if it goes down, likely the body is miscarrying the pregnancy... if it stays about the same, further investigation is necessary.

The next day, I had more blood drawn. Finally, when I found the results, the next day, the number had NOT gone down as we had hoped, instead it had gone slightly UP!!! This means that somewhere (though not visible by ultrasound) inside me there is a pregnancy. The nurse called to tell me that it could be an ectopic pregnancy which is a life threatening condition and must be immediately taken care of... I went in for another ultrasound. No ectopic pregnancy was detected, no uterine pregnancy was detected either. The doctor said that the only thing we know is that there is a pregnancy that is not developing normally because if it was, the hormone level had doubled by now... This did not happen, simply they went up from 481 to 489 in a matter of 2days...

At this point we know its an abnormal pregnancy and we know we must terminate it. The doctor administered more methotrexate, this time it was by injection. Methotrexate is admininistered based on body mass, so it was necessary for the doctor to calculate based on my weight and height. I was administered an injection of methotrexate (102.5mg for my weight of 226 pounds and 5'-4" height).

Hopefully, bleeding will happen the next couple days. In four days I will have blood drawn again for testing the hormone levels, again for a reference number. Then, a couple days later more blood drawn and it should have gone down at least 15%. At that point we will know that the methotrexate worked and it needs to be monitored until it reaches 0.

If this does not happen, there will be a surgical abortion... if that doesn't work, there will be laporoscopic surgery... it all sounds very complicated and I hope it doesn't get to that point.

To 34 YEAR OLD FEMALE: What was the outcome of your pregnancy? It seems as if I'm on the same boat as you were. I'm at beginning stage: Pregnancy tests positive, but no signs of a fetus in the womb or signs it may be ectopic pregnancy. Lab works done, waiting on results. (I have RA. I've been taking Methotrexate for 5 years, but have been lowering my dose for the past 5 months in order to get off the medication completely, but on my last month of taking 2 pills - I find out I'm pregnant. Worried.)