Hello, I will be short. I am 34 years old. I had three abortions so far. I finally decided to have a baby. AM I at risk of infertility? All abortions are performed in different hospitals, by different doctors, so I’ve got it opposite opinions.

Well, from what I know abortion itself rarely causes infertility. Although I’ve got only one (not three) I‘ve got pregnant when I was ready for it. It is the infection that might develop after the abortion that most often prevents further pregnancies and that is why there are probably many millions of women alive today in America who became infertile as a result of an abortion. However, most of them are the victims of back-alley abortionists in the days before abortions were legal.

People must be careful about the literature that they read about infertility after abortion. I myself not a medical expert can say with a warning: YOU CAN GET PREGNANT AGAIN HAVING AN ABORTION. These websites don't know your body. Even if there was a complication from having an abortion, I still would't rule out the possibiltiy that you cannot get pregnant. It's B.S. Your body can make anything happen. I was a sucker and read a lot of websites that looked pretty credible and they said that if u have had one or more abortion, you will have a really hard time getting preagnant. Negative -, I'm preggo again. Falacies. Misleading. Just be careful with what you read ladies.

That is TRUE ROSE..

In all HONESTY, aboriton DOES NOT affect your fertility. Those scare tactic using pro life websites try and scare women, and it is obvious that their info is false.

It is really encouraging reading these posts, because I had an abortion 10 years ago and now I really want a baby. I have been trying for some time, but without success :'( and I' m so scared that I lost my ability of conveiving. The gynecologist told me that an abortion can cause a sever damge to the fallonian tubes. Is that true?

That just does not sound correct.

I work in womens health. ABORTION does not have anything to do with fallopian tubes, unless you get a massive infection that SPREADS. You would have known if you had a massive infection though..

KEEP ON TRYING!

You should also invest in a fertility monitor, so you can have sex at the time of the month that you are most likely to conceive.

You can do it.. Remember, it can take healthy couples up to one year to conceive, and that is when doing everything correctly.

CARIFAIRY, thanx a lot for your answer.
You said you work in womens health. How would I have known if I had an infection, what are the symptoms?
Is there any chance that I would have an infection and hadn't realize it??
Sorry for al those questions but I'm very stressed about all this thing..... o.O

AN infection causes A smelly pus like discharge from the vagina , fever, and EXTREME PAIN.

It is highly unlikely that you would have had an infection, as they are actually quite rare.

CARIFAIRY, thanx a lot for your immediate answer once again. :-)
In womens' health center you work you see maybe hundrents of women. Had, any of them who had an abortion before, lost her ability of conceiving?
As you see, I am so worried with the probability that I might not be able to have children, due to the abortion..... :'(

We see women for PAP smears and other care, so not just abortion, and we see women that bring in their children to their appointments. We do not do prenatal care, but we do offer an ultrasound and a 'first visit' before she sees another doctor.

We do mind children on 'well visit days'.

Many women that have had abortions will have children, they just were not ready 'then'.

I realize that TTC is a journey of highs and lows, but you can get there!

"they were not ready yet"Please why do you use abortion as birth control? And do we have to kill a baby if we don't want it?There are so many people who like to adopt. Please reconsider your abortions. What if your one mom would have aborted you? You would not be here.Think about it. We have killed over 5 millions of unborn babies often just out of convinience. That is outrages.Please think about it.I know you can not change it if you already did it , but feeling sorry about it is a good start.God wants to clean us of every guild we are feeling. Blessings

Rike seriously..take your pro-life propaganda somewhere else.
This woman needs help not a lecture.
Why should a woman continue with an unwanted pregnancy that will cause her much stress and trauma?

There is nothing worse than bringing an unwanted child into this world. Women don't have to be martyrs.

Anyway excuse my rant.... abortion is safe. Safer than giving birth in fact. Abortions do not cause infertility.. I can not believe your doctor told you that. Id suggest you get a new one. Maybe ask Planned Parenting to refer you to a pro-choice doctor who can actually give you honest advise.

BTW you can always get a scan to check you have no scar tissue etc but only do this if you really need reassurance. I'm sure you are perfectly healthy.

Oh right, like pro-choice type doctors dont also have their own agenda. They will be no more honest than anyone else, thank you.

As far as an abortion. Although I'm pro life, the fact of the matter is it's probably not any more risky than multiple d&c's from miscarriages. There is always a risk of the doctor damaging the uterine wall since the procedure can be a bit tricky, which is why it should only be done by qualified medical professionals.

Now for the rant: Three abortions is putting yourself through unneccesary risk, however slight and regardless of your personal feelings on the matter. I suggest searching for the core cause of your unwanted pregnancies and FIXING that problem. For me, the most successful method was to keep my legs closed, but that method of birth control might not work for everyone. Ask your doctor, if he/she approves, then why not give it a try. It's safe, and 100% risk free.

From my experience, any doctor that you comes across prolife is not a good doctor.
Being a medical professional, I am personally pro-choice.
And I'm sure you have plenty of reasons for keeping your legs closed but thats not really relevant to this topic at all?
A suction based termination is unlikely to damage the walls.. in fact I think it only happens in case of post surgical infection.
Try and be supportive for once.

i.ve had 3 abortions and i think i've conceived again. i myself was nervous on the fact of being infertile but i was told that the more you have the MORE fertile you are. i'm not saying it's a good thing to keep doing though but life can be very confusing at times and everybody deserves another chance in life. so whoever can't conceive after an aboriotn check out the man. sometimes it cld be the man. when i was 18-19 yrs old i tried to get pregnant and couldn't but when i was 21 i got pregnant a diff man of course. i have a 10yr old son. got preg in 2003 didnt keep it then in 2009 and again 2 mos later so it doesn't matter just keep trying. go online and try the ovulation calender. it works.