I would like to know more about risks of an abortion. I am 28 and never had one. However, now I am pregnant and don’t know if I should keep the baby. That is why I would like some to tell me more about abortion in adult? Will I become infertile?

You need to think really hard about whether you should keep the baby or not. This decision could influence your whole life. An abortion is the termination of a pregnancy associated with the death of an embryo or a fetus and depending on the gestational age of the embryo or fetus, different methods of abortion can be performed. Many millions of women today are infertile as a result of an abortion and most of them are the victims of back-alley abortionists. 90% of abortions are done in the first trimester but a late abortion frequently requires a material called laminaria to dilate the cervix. This makes the passage large enough to allow a suction tube to be inserted and the laminaria could weaken the cervix and conceivably cause infertility. An untreated infection can scar the uterus and cause later fertility problems and infection rate for first trimester abortions is less than 1 per cent. You need to talk to your doctor and ask him for some advice. As you are probably aware, the decision is totally up to you.