Hi all. I know that this question might sound weird, but I'm a casual (1/2 pack a day smoker) and I‘ve been using smokeless tobacco (skoal) for a while now since my son has ashma. We do not allow any smoking in our house but I’m wondering is the smoking that is very bad or is it nicotine itself?

Clearly, smokeless tobacco raises heart rate and blood pressure which certainly is not good, and really would not be good for someone with atrial arrythmias. Patches are a short term solution to try stop smoking – if you whish to quit there are better solutions. Smokeless tobacco is also very dangerous as it carries an increased risk of throat and mouth cancer. Even though skoal doesn’t produce smoke, it still affects your son and his health, and would suggest you to smoke outside, if possible and if you really need to.