To any fishkeepers/aquarists...We are relocating to a new house at the end of October and the aquarium has to be moved somehow. Any ideas as to how to transport my fish and plants safely with minimal stress on them? The house is not too far from our current home, fortunately...

My tank's a 29 gallon, complete with gravel, live plants, driftwood, stones, and 17 fish (plus filter, heater, pump, etc..)..Setting it up again and reestablishing it at the new home may be a bit of a problem as well...:h: :umno:

cooler......place a large trash bag in teh cooler and fill up 2/3 of the way with water. your fish will go in here at the latest moment.

put the plants and gravel in plastic buckets or trash cans also lined with trash bags. live plants remember to add aquarium water to the bag.

set tank up first in new place, add gravel, plants and such and fill clean water 1/3 to 1/2

add some water to fish cooler and and let tank water settle some with filter running.

then move the fish into the tank add water from cooler

I've managed to move across town like this as well across country.

sounds good...the water in the cooler is aquarium water? Do I have to aerate the water in there as well when transporting the fish?

the cooler will hold old water, yes. as in the need to aerate, not really for a short trip. highly agitate the water in the cooler and this will suffice for a few hours.

when arriving at the new place maybe add an airstone and pump to the cooler while setting up the new tank and while the water in the tank settles. no really needed but it help ease your mind a bit.

also don't be afraid to put some plants in the cooler for the fish to hide with, but nothing that could hurt them if it shifts.

Call Chuck Norris.

He'll get er done.