I want to test my maximum heart rate because I’d like to know the limits of my endurance. But I’m a bit scared when I think that this means I will have to put so much effort and cycle strenuously. Can you tell me how dangerous can maximum heart rate be? I wouldn’t like to cause some damage to my heart and to endanger my health.

Don’t worry. It’s not dangerous. Each athlete must learn about his maximum heart rate. My advice is that you should go to your doctor and have everything examined so that you can be sure that your health is in good condition and after that you can proceed to measuring your maximum heart rate. I also think that you shouldn’t be doing that on your own. There must be some experienced person present in order to see how much you can push and to prevent you for crossing the line. You can also talk with your fellow athletes who have measured their maximum heart rate and hear their experiences. Anyway, it’s really nothing to be upset about.