I’ve been having certain problems with my heart while I’m running recently. That’s why I’ve bought a heart rate monitor. I just don’t know what the best place for it is. Do I have to put it next to my heart in order for precise measurement? I know that I sound like a hypochondriac, but this problem ain’t fun. Thanks for the advice.

Many people have arrhythmic heartbeat while running. There are several reasons for this. One of them is for sure the fact that they breathe improperly. Learn how to breathe during running and you’ll reduce the chance to have various problems while training. It can also be caused by the fact that you’re tired or stressed. I don’t think that you should necessarily place the heart rate monitor next to your hear in order to be sure that results are correct. I don’t know what kind of heart rate monitor you’ve bought, but I know that there are numerous combo devices with heart rate monitor and many of them are worn around wrists just like regular watches. Anyway, don’t be scared and good luck.

If you are using a typical Polar heart rate monitor, then you need to put the transmitter strap around your chest, just below the chest muscles. The important thing is that the electrodes of the strap should be moistened in order for them to detect electrical signals coming from the heart. As long as the strap is not loosened during the exercise, it should give you accurate heart rate readings.

Yep. It goes right over your heart.