I need to know how to deal with my son’s condition. He suffers from Pica and I am not sure how to help him. How can we treat it? He has just started with some psycho therapy but I am not sure if that will bring him any good. Isn’t there any medication that would bring him immediate recovery?

Those psycho therapies that you have mentioned are probably the best thing for him now. Pica is a very particular condition that requires a careful approach. And not only classic therapies, there are alternative, but still similar techniques that include family guidance, training for recognition of edible and non edible things. There are some meds that might help, but those are just addition to a therapy.

Hi there,
How old is your son and how long has he been diagnosed with this condition. Can you tell me more about the things that he eats? If I am not mistaking this condition develops in pregnancy because of lack of some nutrients. Iron deficiency and zinc deficiency may trigger this condition. If the nutrient are the main reason for Pica the first stage of treatment is giving your child there nutrients so there is no lack of it in the body. Treatment also involves behavioral, environmental, and family educational approaches. I am not sure if any medication is used for the treatment but you can consult your doctor about this. I hope this helped you.
Best wishes,
Marco