Hello! I had surgery at the NPC also almost 4 weeks ago. About 1 week post op, I had the worst brain fog moment than even before surgery and it threw me into a horrific panic attack. Dr. Parrack said that he believed that my thyroid had an inflammatory reaction to surgery and lowered my tsh.
I started reading these testimonials during the time of my crash and had to stop because of the fear it made me feel. We all seem to have so many similar symptoms pre and post op.
I had no idea that they were putting clamps in either to cut off the old glands....did you all know of this?
I feel better, however, still not well like I thought from the things I read on their site preop.
Just praying that things will get better and that I will finally feel normal again soon...whatever normal may feel like.

I have suffered from severe muscle spasms into my thighs and hands etc since 2002. For me I had to take very large doses of magnesium malate and I was pretty much fine. It started again recently and I found out I have parathyroid disease. Surgery is scheduled in 2 weeks. In the meantime I went to a neurologist at Penn and I also have a condition called Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability or Cramp Fasciculation syndrome or sometimes even Non-Dysrophic Myotonia. Anyway, there is a medicine called Mexiletine that is an cardiac drug (so you have to get checked out by a cardiologist and can take medicine of HBP, but not a beta-blocker, but they found with ALS it works with these types of spasms. It really does work. I don't like taking a cardiac drug, but all doctors think it is safe and it works.

I had my surgery in September of 2017 by Dr. Norman in Tampa. He was very upset with my Primary Care Physician for letting me have such high calcium for years and not getting my diagnosed. We had blood tests going back to 2013 showing my calcium in the elevens. I don't know how long before that because I had no blood tests prior to 2013. I was very hopeful when I saw Dr. Norman's website. It sounded like this was going to cure me and I had been sick for years. I was very excited that my bone pain was supposed to disappear when I awoke from my surgery. Unfortunately that did not happen. I have had a few symptoms go away, but the most severve have only improved slightly. The bone pain is intense and fatigue is constant. I am only in my 50's but feel like I am in my 80's. I can barely get down the stairs and am home bound until I improve. It seems that the majority of parathyroidectomy patients improve immediately and return to work in a few days. I must be in the minority. I contacted Dr. Norman about this and he said that I had hyperparathyroidism for many years and that it may take several months before I feel well. I wish there had been at least one similar patient testimonial on his website that stated this. It would have saved me a lot of stress. It seems only logical that recovery would vary patient to patient depending on length and severity of the hyperparathyroidism.

Hi I just had 3.5 parathyroid glands removed in Tampa last Friday...I had heart palpitations before the surgery and have them terribly still...it’s only day 12...do you know how long it took for your heart to adjust! I’m miserable!

I had para thyroid surgery 6 weeks ago. I am still tingling, my heart palpates and I am so tired. I had 3.5 also removed. I want myself back.......

Hi. Before I write to much this is a test as I’m 5 mths post parathyroid surgery with Norman Center in Tampa. They didn’t talk to me after surgery, the dr seemed annoyed. He slapped a photo of my tumor down and walked off, sweating. I said wait is this big or small “ It’s huge, it was embedded!” What? “ We had some difficulty removing it as it’s at least 20 years old” he states briskly walking away. Please , what does this mean I asked. He told me something like most people’s something level , now I’m making it up, but it was this dramatic, most levels pre operation maybe 300 yours was 4000” and he was out , I immediately new, why my entire life was horrible and spent in treatment for treatment resistant depression , more like my daily thoughts , goals and dreams were regarding suicide as I was an amazing cheerful child but now I know by 7th grade the disease began. Which ruined my experience of growing up and life was a cruel punishment. Now one cared about my selfish sad suicide obsession, and 30 years later , at age 43, around summer last year I lost my mind and broke more bones then ever, as I was always breaking ribs doing nothing. A nuisance and burden my parents had to pay for and still do. I had terrible dementia, memory loss and there happened to be a major stressor in my apartment as together, despite 100’s of doctors and my father being a doctor and alternative therapies, i only after googling I feel older than old bone pain and I can’t wake up or go to sleep always falling. There was my life in the symptoms. I was paranoid and Alone as usual, very suicidal Too confused to do it and certain I was hosting something demonic I was! The tumor was ready for removal at age 18-19! And my parents came by while I was obviously psychotic at least and found me irritating and left. I spent many months alone, dying until I figured out how to use a phone and called my doctor. My pain level was crazy. I needed so much help and could only get painfully silent and obviously burdened rides from my parents to doctors so insecure they sh*t on me and told me to eat more dairy and that the surgery might fix the pain but not all my problems, in a vicious tone I had most explain. They were referring to my mental state that is apparently disgusting and drs are to make sure any patient distraught and confused and unable to think leave knowing they are trash and ofcourse utterly annoying. Long short, I couldn’t deal w appts and asked for help getting to Europe for euthanasia. Despite my fathers obvious , his words “ irritation w me” he wouldn’t help me die or live. I found Norman center and in severe fight or flight couldn’t deal with my heartless family so only my mom came furious at me and my father said a few words to me for the first time. An awful experience. I was literally dying so couldn’t speak or hold my head up pre surgery and after I was amazed how much the pain was gone. They gave me no pain killers not even a Tylenol and I was still in severe pain just less of it. I begged mother to let me stay as I knew I needed to be hospitalized. I wasn’t well enough to fly. Since they say you can leave the next day and return to work in 2-3 that’s what I was supposed to do. A 20 year huge tumor! And here I am alone still in pain, confusion and fat now I keep gaining wait. I’m still in fight or flight I’m as symptomatic as a normal patient coming in. I have been being positive and trusting they didn’t want to deal with my case as , yes, they don’t post any slightly neg surgery results. When that normal. I fear connecting with them. I expect them to say whatever they can to get me away from them as they warned me pre surgery that my extreme constant all over body pain was a bit severe sounding and people have pain but not excruciating. And said I just don’t want you upset with us if your still in pain as that’s probably something else. Well what . Please !? I can’t find anyone on the internet like me. 20 yrs with a tumor! They were angry w me and thought how could you not know. Because I was declared mentally ill and a bother and I had terrible symptoms I blamed on years of toxic mental Meds . I also knew I was being tortured mentally and physically and the worst out of this is how I didn’t die. That’s how I felt. In order to be here now I have been super diligent about loving myself and yes the suicide and deep depression is much lighter. I mainly have w,o the tumor a chance to form new coping skills as my misery is all I know and a habit I’m working on. So here I am still unable to drive, change my sheets, exercise, tired and accepting and keeping my head up. Today I just couldn’t fit into any clothes and realized... as positive as I am being....I am sick! Did they leave a flake of tumor? I google and nothing but people upset w a 4 year old tumor and that it took 2 weeks to go back to work. I have so much pain in my right hand bn wrist I can’t use it. I’m right handed. Something you said after hundreds of posts made me think you at least get the strange all positive reviews. I’m reaching out and should post this and not just send this to you. I don’t know how these things work though so all I can say is please email me at ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of private information such as name, phone number or email address is not allowed in order to protect your privacy*** Please read our Terms of Use As I don’t know how I will ever know if you reply. I should know , cognitive native function is still super low. If I public post I will give a different email I need help , can’t live like this and alone, it’s torture. Thanks so much

Hi I need help! I have a long reply I posted to one person and decided I have to make it public for maximum help. I hope someone can help as I see most posts are at least 4 years old.
The idea is I’m 5 months post surgery for what ended up being...... sit down for this...a 20 plus year huge parathyroid tumor!
I had problems since 7th grade when it prob began and by the time the tumor was ready for removal I was seeking help for all my problems and for decades was considered a treatment resistant morbidly depressed and suicidal nuisance. And given loads off drugs that never helped but antidepressants and all that junk is very hard to get off of. I had every symptom and have had so many surgeries . As the tumor controlled my entire life. I am 43 now and was 43 when they removed it at Norman Center. I feel terrible , still symptomatic. My body pain is much much better still I’m in pain and break or fracture random bones and yes I take calcium and vit d and so many supplements I eat well and have gained Prob 30 lbs post surgery!
I had a very miserable recovery and I spend a great deal of time retiring my brain to love and accept my life as it is.
Def something my brain couldn’t do with the tumor. Still I have a bit of dementia . It’s just this week clearing enough that I almost tried to drive. I feel like a patient would feel with a 2- 10 yr old tumor, symptomatic.
I’ve been to drs and they say my levels are fine. I need to feel better. I’m on opiate pain killers that they took away from me when I most needed them in early recovery. Luckily they saw how bad I was with out them and gave me nothing like the gave me for the years of broken ribs , from turning a lamp on, and unexplainable chronic all over and the worst was the feet pain.

I’m 5 mths post parathyroid surgery with Norman Center in Tampa. They didn’t talk to me after surgery, the dr seemed annoyed. He slapped a photo of my tumor down and walked off, sweating. I said wait is this big or small “ It’s huge, it was embedded!” What? “ We had some difficulty removing it as it’s at least 20 years old” he states briskly walking away. Please , what does this mean I asked. He told me something like most people’s something level , now I’m making it up, but it was this dramatic, most levels pre operation maybe 300 yours was 4000” and he was out , I immediately new, why my entire life was horrible and spent in treatment for treatment resistant depression , more like my daily thoughts , goals and dreams were regarding suicide as I was an amazing cheerful child but now I know by 7th grade the disease began. Which ruined my experience of growing up and life was a cruel punishment. Now one cared about my selfish sad suicide obsession, and 30 years later , at age 43, around summer last year I lost my mind and broke more bones then ever, as I was always breaking ribs doing nothing. A nuisance and burden my parents had to pay for and still do. I had terrible dementia, memory loss and there happened to be a major stressor in my apartment as together, despite 100’s of doctors and my father being a doctor and alternative therapies, i only after googling I feel older than old bone pain and I can’t wake up or go to sleep always falling. There was my life in the symptoms. I was paranoid and Alone as usual, very suicidal Too confused to do it and certain I was hosting something demonic I was! The tumor was ready for removal at age 18-19! And my parents came by while I was obviously psychotic at least and found me irritating and left. I spent many months alone, dying until I figured out how to use a phone and called my doctor. My pain level was crazy. I needed so much help and could only get painfully silent and obviously burdened rides from my parents to doctors so insecure they sh*t on me and told me to eat more dairy and that the surgery might fix the pain but not all my problems, in a vicious tone I had most explain. They were referring to my mental state that is apparently disgusting and drs are to make sure any patient distraught and confused and unable to think leave knowing they are trash and ofcourse utterly annoying. Long short, I couldn’t deal w appts and asked for help getting to Europe for euthanasia. Despite my fathers obvious , his words “ irritation w me” he wouldn’t help me die or live. I found Norman center and in severe fight or flight couldn’t deal with my heartless family so only my mom came furious at me and my father said a few words to me for the first time. An awful experience. I was literally dying so couldn’t speak or hold my head up pre surgery and after I was amazed how much the pain was gone. They gave me no pain killers not even a Tylenol and I was still in severe pain just less of it. I begged mother to let me stay as I knew I needed to be hospitalized. I wasn’t well enough to fly. Since they say you can leave the next day and return to work in 2-3 that’s what I was supposed to do. A 20 year huge tumor! And here I am alone still in pain, confusion and fat now I keep gaining wait. I’m still in fight or flight I’m as symptomatic as a normal patient coming in.

I have been being positive and trusting they didn’t want to deal with my case as , yes, they don’t post any slightly neg surgery results. When that normal.

I fear connecting with them. I expect them to say whatever they can to get me away from them as they warned me pre surgery that my extreme constant all over body pain was a bit severe sounding and people have pain but not excruciating. And said I just don’t want you upset with us if your still in pain as that’s probably something else. Well what . Please !? I can’t find anyone on the internet like me. 20 yrs with a tumor! They were angry w me and thought how could you not know. Because I was declared mentally ill and a bother and I had terrible symptoms I blamed on years of toxic mental Meds . I also knew I was being tortured mentally and physically and the worst out of this is how I didn’t die. That’s how I felt. In order to be here now I have been super diligent about loving myself and yes the suicide and deep depression is much lighter. I mainly have w,o the tumor a chance to form new coping skills as my misery is all I know and a habit I’m working on.
So here I am still unable to drive, change my sheets, exercise, tired and accepting and keeping my head up. Today I just couldn’t fit into any clothes and realized... as positive as I am being....I am sick! Did they leave a flake of tumor? I google and nothing but people upset w a 4 year old tumor and that it took 2 weeks to go back to work. I have so much pain in my right hand bn wrist I can’t use it. I’m right handed.

Something you said after hundreds of posts made me think you at least get the strange all positive reviews. I’m reaching out and should post this and not just send this to you. I don’t know how these things work though so all I can say is please email me at ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of private information such as name, phone number or email address is not allowed in order to protect your privacy*** Please read our Terms of Use

I need help , can’t live like this and alone, it’s torture. Thanks so much

Hi. I would love your help I just posted I wrote a very long post seeking help I’m five months after surgery also with the Norman center my tumor was 20+ years old ! And my recovery well I’m still in it and that was very very painful and I just don’t know what to do I’m gaining a lot of weight it’s as if I still have another tumor and when I Google things I can’t find any information on people like me I mean I certainly can’t find someone that has a tumor for 20 years and how their recovery went but I am finding people on this forum that didn’t have the perfect recovery thanks for your post

My doctor has me taken tums 2 500mg a day it helps me

I had adenoma removed last Friday, 5 days ago. I don’t have good balance. I don’t feel mentally normal. I’m tired, thirsty and I pee frequently.

Hi, I just had my 2nd parathyroidectomy the 30th and my muscles are really ache and am stiff. what is this from? I thought I was going to feel good after this was finally resolved from what I rad before on the internet. My levels of calcium and PTH did not change after my 1st surgery last December, but felt pretty good after surgery. This time my levels went from 10.3 calcium to 9 (I was told) and feel horrible. My incision does not hurt much, just the rest of my body. What is the deal?

Two weeks ago I had one of my parathyroids and tumor removed by a general surgeon, Dr Beneke, with Sutter Hospital in Sacramento, CA. I am recovering quickly. This is my first operation of this kind. From the day that I was told that my blood test results indicated a need for an operation, ordered by my Primary Care doctor, to the surgery date, it took around six months. Sutter’s staff didn’t miss anything. Test after test, three doctors which includes my surgeon, left me with only good words to say about my experiences with a minimally invasive surgery. I will trust the staff in the future if needed. Dr Beneke is one of the best surgeons in Northern CA.