I heard of cadence and its importance. Is it really important for a swimmer? I mean you get into the water start swimming as fast as you can and that is it. What is this big science and mathematic about cadence and things like that. Am I wrong? If so please explain why. What is average swimmer’s cadence?

Like cycling and running swimming also requires optimal cadence range for competitive athletes. The optimal cadence for cycling is between 80 and 100 pedal (rpm.) As for the swimming, the cadence is typically 40 to 55 cycles per minute for the world-class athletes, with women on the higher end of the spectrum and men on the lower end. Since women aren't as strong as males, they use higher cadences instead of strength to achieve speed. You can see that Janet Evans is swimming at 55 cycles per minute while Grant Hackett is at 40 and Larsen Jensen even at 38 cycles per minute.