Here’s the issue: I’m a twentysomething girl and my calves are not as slender as I expect. I’ve taken up cycling recently because I want to shape up and now I’m facing yet another problem: what if my calves develop and become even bigger due to cycling. How to adjust gears and what about cadence in relation to big calves?

I understand what you\re saying but I’m not so sure. Maybe cadence is supposed to be lower in order not to flex your calf muscles too much. If you’re a recreational cyclist your cadence shouldn’t be more than 80 rotations per minute. Only sprinters have about 120 rotations per minute. Besides I think that only pro riders can have big calves and recreational riders don’t have that tempo which would cause something like that. So, don’t worry and if you feel that your calves hurt, try to change gear to the value you’ll feel comfortable at. To be honest, I even wanted to put some more muscles to my legs, especially calves, but it didn’t work, and I still look like I have two chopsticks instead of legs. And I train extensively.