I’m planning on trying my hand at time trial. I know that it’s a tough discipline and that’s why I want to know how to prepare well and improve my performance. Can you tell me something about cadence that is required for this sport? I always use a higher cadence while I’m road cycling. I suppose that this is something different.

It’s different all right. Get ready for a very strenuous cycling discipline. The cadence required for time trial cycling is pretty low and it has to be about 50-60 rpm. This means that larger gears are used. You’ll need to get used to cycling with a large gear on and that requires a great muscular effort and strength. But, what I’m saying doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to make it. I just want to tell you not to expect an easy task. If you get down to it seriously and if you train properly, everything will work out fine. There is a tip that I want to share with you: your start shouldn’t be too hard. Save it for the finish and start easily. That’s the basic thing about TT strategy.