i just read by birth control packet and this is right. only on the sunday start do u have to wait the week

if u take it on the first day then its effective immediately

As a medical doctor, i get very frustrated reading some very wrong information. Birth control pills are 99% effective. The reason they are not 100% effective is because there is always a chance of a patient missing a dose or taking a dose very late and effect the hormone cycle in the body. Some older brands of birth control did require you to take them for at least 14 days before having unprotected intercourse; however, many of the new brands available right now, it only requires 7 days. Some doctors do suggest their patients to be on the pill for at least couple of weeks before having unprotected sex, but that is just to be on the safe side. After the required period, if you do not miss your dose and take the pill correctly, your are protected from pregnancy! I have read some stupid comments in here and let me clear something up:

whoever says that you can get pregnant while taking birth control correctly has either no idea how the female cycle works or what birth control pills are. Its always best to consult with your own family doctor to make sure the pill that you are on only requires 7days. There are no pills on the market that require you to take them for 3 months to be protected.

Cheers.

its because a soul was ripped out of u because its a baby a real person with a soul that was inside of u

what the hell does this have to do with anything? who are you to decide if we should wait til marriage or if we should keep a baby!!! not all of us are READY for a baby. most people are on the pill because they DON'T wanna wait til marriage. some people man, jeez.

the post asked a simple MEDICAL question..do not waste people's time with your own ideologies. People should spend less time shoving their opinions down other people's throats, and more time listening.

hahahaha wtf hahaha

OK really here are the mean points. -7 days is min -30 days is Max -all ways use a condom! No matter what. better safe then sorry.

No, you shouldn't. The first month, you never know when your period will start and it doesn't always start the first few days of placebo.

Thank you for this post. I usually go to Planned Parenthood for my birth control, and paps. I just receive a consultation for birth control at a doctor's office (which seemed strange, i usually get a pap, then receive the prescription). When I went to Planned Parenthood, they told me that the pills would start working in one week. One time, for a different birth control, they said two weeks (which was reasonable). The doctor I visited today told me that it take *3 MONTHS* for the birth control to be active! I wanted to laugh because...I have never been pregnant before!...and I followed the 1 week rule. I never let a guy finish inside of me...that is always a no-no. NEVER EVER LET A GUY FINISH IN YOU EVEN IF YOU ARE ON THE PILL!

Thank you for this post. I usually go to Planned Parenthood for my birth control pills, and paps. Today, I went to a family doctor's office to have a consultation for birth control (which is unheard of to me). Originally, I came for a pap, but they needed to get to know me first. I got the prescription for 3 months worth of birth control, and they told me that it takes *3 MONTHS* for birth control to be active. I wanted to laugh because Planned Parenthood as always told me a week...so I listened, and as of this day, I have never been pregnant. One time, Planned Parenthood told me 2 weeks, due to the type of birth control pill. Nobody is saying 3 months...so that was BS.

It all depends on the type of birth control some only take a week while others take a month.

Your not gonna get pregnant everytime you get "nutted" in. You have to be ovulating to get pregnant. And that's only about a week a month

I have also had an abortion and I couldnt agree more. It is an emotional and physically painful thing to go through, but the recovery is quick. The abortion was decided because I was not ready to bring a child into the world. Emotional attachment does fade when the decision was made for the righ reasons. In that persons situation she probably waited way too long to make the choice or let someone else make the choice for her. It is your body, and your life. If abortion is what has to happen, aim for as soon as possible and makesure the decision is yours!

Wow, what bull. I aborted and I was relieved. It depends on the woman, so don't go giving your lecture about marriage and babies. That was NOT what the asker asked. Keep your personal issues to yourself.