So last week I decided to order some nicorette gum to help me quite smoking. I have read the directions but am not sure if I should really start with chewing the recommended amount for the first step.

Here is my smoking history to make things clear:
I have been smoking for 10 years. About 3 years ago I cut down from around 12 cigarettes a day to about 4. I have been steadily smoking about 4 cigarettes a day for the past 3 years.

So basically I'm wondering if I should start with the recommended dosage for step one which is around 10 pieces a day, or should I start with only chewing about 4 a day, or less? I'm really worried about getting more addicted to nicotine
when I'm trying to stop smoking because of chewing too much nicorette.

I did some research and found that the average cigarette provides about 1mg of nicotine when smoked. I currently have the 2mg nicorette, so it seems to me that each piece is worth about two cigarettes.

So my logic goes like this, I was smoking 4 cigarettes a day so I should only need to chew 2 pieces a day to match the amount of nicotine. I have also read that you should follow the directions exactly to have the best chance to quite for good.

So what is it, should I start out chewing the amount of nicorette to match how much I was smoking before I quite, or should I just follow the directions exactly? I really don't want to become more addicted to nicotine when try to stop smoking, but I also really don't want a relapse and end up smoking again because I didn't follow the directions correctly that came with the nicorette.

dbdb2,
CONGRATS on "weaning" yourself down to just about 4 a day. Honestly, I JUST QUIT 3 weeks ago.... after smoking a pack a day for 15 years..... HONESTLY... I wouldnt even do the gum....either do it COLD TURKEY...WITH SUPPORT... or just keep weaning yourself down until you are done. Those "substitutes" are just that. After 3 days, your nicotine dependence is GONE.... IT REALLY SUCKS, I MEAN IT, BUT YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Please let me know how you are doing, ok? Maybe we can "give each other support on here".

Hizgrace

Hizgrace,

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to stick with the gum for now. I've been only chewing 3-4 pieces a day for the past 4 days and seem to be helping quite a bit to cut the edge off. The way I look at it is if I chew the gum for a few weeks it will give me a chance to get over the habitual practices of smoking, i.e. around friend, before I do this, or after I do that. Then in a month or so I cut down on the gum and eventually quite all together.

I found a awesome support site . You should check it out!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed