I have the same thing pale off white I also had a deviated septum left nostril I'm feeling tin my main concern is the green off white stuff has been coming off is that normal

Yeah f**** that hard foods day three finaly able eat tomatoe soup... I would like to see someone eat hard food after this

I just had my tonsils and adenoids removed approximately 20 hrs ago.so after my surgery I slept a while, woke up ate popsicles and oatmeal drank a lot of Gatorade and took pains meds. I brushed my teeth and tongue..my throat looks as everyone describes it. Yesterday -1st day was a piece of cake..however when the coat started forming I took q-tip to see if it was residue from the oatmeal..which it wasn't.. Had no pain messing with it. Today -2nd day it hurt a little to swallow..still managed to brush my teeth and tongue..took kids to school. Ate oatmeal and popsicles. Of course drank a lot of Gatorade andtook pain meds..im looking fwd to day 3.

Hey guys so I'm only 19 and I had my tonsils out 3 days ago... up until now I have had very minimal pain but this morning I woke up in excruciating pain... I'm off to the hospital as there is also a small amount of bleeding.

My ENT didn't say anything about no dairy at first...just no citrus or tomato. Soft foods only for 8-12 days. I'm on day two and taking two 5mg percocet every four hours. Yes it hurts really bad. My throat looks like the picture in the jpg file linked above. I'm 55 and my ENT warned me about the pain ahead of time. Today is better than yesterday. I had a knee replacement LA year. THAT was a LOT worse than this. Only bummer is it was outpatient. I'd have liked a night in the hospital.

My ENT said NO SCRATCHY foods until after the scabs fall off! People that say to eat hard foods are wrong! He said hard, scratchy food will scratch the scab off and CAUSE bleeding!

See mine said the complete opposite. I had my tonsils out three days ago and the nurse and ENT told me hard foods will clean the area and prevent infection. If you stick to a liquid diet the process to heal will take much longer and you will be more susceptible to infection. I'd say you need to combine the two. I'm on day 3 of recovery and the pain is only bad when I swallow but I do wake up in the night and it is hurting pretty bad, just make sure you keep drinking water. Chewing gum has helped and as painful as it is to have hard foods at times, I've been eating them. Also I've only been taking pain medication before bed and when I awake in the morning, I've been on a lot of painkillers this year so I don't want to mess up my body even more. My tonsils are scabbing up now and the taste is not great. My ENT also said if your scabs start to look green go back to the doctor as you could have an infection. I hope recovery goes well for all of you guys, I'm hoping that my pain isn't going to get any worse as I've heard that can happen.

How is everything going now

Thank you ! Your post help me I was scared lol

So I got my tonsils out March 8th 2017. Im on day 6 not including surgery day. This is the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. I'm 33 years old and I don't think I've cried over pain like I do now. I wish Drs would tell people how horrible this is!!!! So let me explain my experience so far. Pain is unbelievable and unbearable at times. I got to go home the same day, and I wish they told me to come back on day 3 to be hospitalized for pain. I drink lots of water and TONS of pedialite. It seems to cool down the throat within 8 minutes or so. A lot of people are worried about the discoloration of the throat...it will look black and white day 1 and 2 then start changing into colors like white, yellowish, greenish, it's normal. It's also normal to lose weight. I think I lost almost 10 pounds. I'm sooooooo hungry. I have ate Jello, pudding, applesauce, mashed potatoes, string cheese, soup on buttered bread. I need to get something normal in my stomach. I'm not sure if I will bleed, I'm hoping not. If any of you bleed its ok, gargle with ice cold water. If you can't get the bleeding to stop, get to a ER. Also always have someone around you. Like 24/7 for the first 5 days for sure. Again, expect a lot of pain. Your ears, neck, and throat will hurt sooooooo bad. Ice packs around your neck at all times works amazing. I constantly have one around my neck. Take your pain meds but don't abuse them. Ib.p. works too. I take 3-4 at a time. Please try to eat something and then take your pills. Oh and it is normal that you can't get sleep. I sleep 2 to 4 hours at a time. I hate it but now I'm just used to it. But I'm most definitely sleep deprived. It sucks. I hope everyone heals safely. Hugs. My name is Daisy by the way.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Guest, thanks for the information. I am 46 and had my tonsils out 7 days ago. My pain level is the same today as it has been. I have a high pain tolerance but it has been pushed to the brink with this surgery. I can't wait until the pain subsides. I believe my scabs started falling off today.

Well im 28 and on day 6 so far with my tonsils been taken out.yes the pain is starting to pick up. Bit just keep up with the meds and fluid and you should be right.. plus ive been sleeping like a bear. Is that normal

Hey im 28 and on day 8 after geting. Y tonsils removed. Iv lost 8 almost 9 pounds and haven't had much pain at all only just the slit pain/ uncomfortableness win swallowing and trying to talk to much. The thing that sucks the most about geting them removed is just not being able to eat a hole lote of real food and feeling mostly out of it caz of being hypoglycemic and not geting enough sugar in my system even though all im having is basically sugar water. Its also just really boring win u live a very active life and then forced to do nothing for a little will.

Hi, I am 18 and had my tonsils removed 5 days ago. My experience the first day was mostly just discomfort, but not too much pain. The third and 4 days were the worst. The 4th night I felt like I had needles poking my throat. It is now day 6 and most of my pain Is during the night. The pain is more bearable during the day. Still haven't eaten anything besides popsicles and mashed potatoes. I also have a green coating with a white foam. All of what I have seen is normal, it's just a really crappy to go through

I had my tonsils out 1 week ago at age 38. My ENT suggested that I eat 'Krystal' after I left surgery. He said that people who had a soft hamburger the first day had markedly improved recovery than people that ate exclusively soft foods. I had a hamburger at McDonalds. I had one on day 2 as well. I've tried to eat a 'real dinner' every night with a focus on soft foods like ravioli and chicken and dumplin's. They gave me 10 days of steroid treatment - those pills made me feel queasy on the highest dose days, but outside of that it has been fine. I've tried to drink plenty of liquids and stay hydrated. This far in the things I've come away with:

1) For me the pain is worst at night. I started taking my steroid at 6am, but I've gradually moved it earlier and earlier. Now I take it before I go to sleep and I think it helps a lot. I found that I basically didn't sleep until I took it so my 'sleep' started whenever I got to it - and the earlier the better.

2) I stocked up on a lot of soft foods. Ice cream and fudge bars are pretty good, but I think the best is 'Jell-o pudding'. It's hard to eat foods quickly, so the ice cream can melt, and if you eat it too fast it can cause other types of pain. Pudding isn't as cold, so it is my go-to food.

3) Try eating 'real foods' if you feel up to it. Take small bites and make sure they're as soft as possible. On Day 3 I ate a piece of bread soaked in fried egg. If eating is causing you pain, obviously don't push it, but I think this will help you on the way to recovery.

Today was the first day I looked at my throat. I wanted to make sure what I'm seeing is normal (it is). I really think the pain has been manageable in my case - definitely not the worst I've ever had. I had heard from some people that it is THE WORST PAIN POSSIBLE and I'm sure it can be. Best of luck to everyone else suffering.