DO NOT TAKE IBUPROFEN it is a blood thinner and will make you bleed along (with Advil, alieve, motrin.) Take Tylenol instead as it's one of the only over the counter options that is not a blood thinner

Bollocks you have lost 14lbs! You are clearly a hypochondriac and probably didn't even need surgery in the first place. Keep up on the pain killers and eat!

Girl i know you posted this a year ago but I'm 17 and just got mine out 3 days ago and bou do I feel you with the nausea I can't keep anything down the pain is so beyond real.

I can't have dairy... Anything so I tried cashew-milk icecream and I didn't have any of the "coating" on the back of the throat.. Yes it was still thick... But I had it the second I got home and day two I feel fine!

I had my tonsils out June 27th & it is now July 5th ... The first day wasn't soo bad, the worst days for me were 3-5.. All i've been doing since then is basically sleeping & drinking water and of course taking medication.. today on day 8 i've felt energetic & tolerarble pain that hasn't required for me to take medication.. but i decided to eat a sandwhich cautiously of course... & i honestly think i swallowed part of the scab it felt pretty sharp as it was going down my throat... i got a bit worried , i called my ent & i was told that in some cases its normal... did i forget to mention that i was spitting specks of blood this morning? I was told that it is normal it usually happens when scabs begin to come off.... In otherwords, throughout the days 3-5 i regreted the surgery!

I'm a 21 year old female and I'm on day 6 post op, honestly I think people try to frighten you it really isn't that bad well at least I don't think so. I've genuinely had worse tonsilitis than the pain I've experienced with having my tonsils out. It is uncomfortable but it's definately not unbearable. Day 1-4 were a breeze. I drank plenty of water, iced drinks and warm drinks and found the contrast of heat was easing the minim pain. Take the pain killers when you need them first few days I managed to not take them at all until I went to bed as I didn't feel I needed them. Just try and get plenty of rest as your energy levels are seriously low. Also as much as you don't want to try and eat as much crisps/ toast as you possibly can to prevent infection, as of yet I've had no bleeding or infection(fingers crossed), but the last 2 days have been the worst, I wake every 3 hours and need pain killers but again it's tolerable, I have a hot water bottle for my ears as they are hurting more than my throat. I also have white spots at the back of my throat and scabs have begun falling off, I genuinely would recommend this operation to anyone who suffers with their throats as the short term pain prevents a long time of suffering if your anytbing like me , and this pain was worse than post op pain. Just listen to your body, plenty of fluids, rest & ice and as much hard rough food as you possibly can!

I know this was over a year ago but my 3 year old son just got his tonsils removed and let me tell you he is in just as much pain, if not more then a lot of you complaining that kids have it easier recovering. An adult can understand why they are in pain and even if they don't want to take medication they still do because of their understanding. Try explaining to a three year old why they hurt, what happened to them and then why you have to force medication down their throat every 4 hours for one and every 8 hours for another bc they refuse to take it. Not to mention my son is a severe asmatic so after surgery he required oxygen to keep his lungs working and filling with air (imagine how scary that is watching your child's levels drop and nurses shoving a oxygen tube in your child's mouth) so now he has to take breathing treatments every 4-6 hours and a oral inhaled steroid once a day. I'm sorry but age doesn't matter. My three year old is going through hell from this surgery. He will not eat. He will not drink unless I bribe, plead and beg him to take a sip. He also had his ears cleaned so they are inflamed and superficial blood vessels cauterized in his nose so it hurts as well. Be thankful you have full communication skills and understanding of what is happening and no other major complications. Always call your doctor when you are concerned.

I'm on day 4 of recovery and the nurse also told me I couldn't have dairy products 24 hours after the surgery.

Since my surgery (4 days ago) I have lost 6 pounds. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing lol.

No ibuprofen!!!! It increases the risk for a bleed! I’m able to eat eggs and oatmeal and force protein smoothies. Protein is the key to healing.

I’m on day 6 and for me, the pain was unreasonable the first 48 hours and the pain control was poor. On the 3rd day when every one said it would be worse....it was not. I’m using green tea with honey. Forcing water. And when I eat, I make it count. Make sure there is protein in it. I felt them burn my left tonsil out. Literally was not under enough and after they tell you the pain will be hell, they won’t prescribe three days worth of strong analgesic. It’s shocking. Day six back of through looks the same. Yellow thick slough. I don’t see any scabs although I feel like there is a pile of hair in the back of my throat.

My daughter had her tonsils out yesterday and she is fine after the op she was up and running about in the hospital she has eaten so much ice cream, sandwiches crisps biscuits. She is a bit tired but still on the go.

I had my tonsils out 5 days ago, I’m 28. My throat is fully white and it’s painful at times, I set my alarm in the night every 4 hours to make sure I take my pain relief, can’t reccomend that enough. I’m not eating or drinking anything like ice cream or milk as I find it sticks to back of your throat. I’m having water and lots of it. On the ward about 3-4 hours after surgery I ate two slices of toast and a cup of tea, slowly and was hard work but eating normally makes you feel so much better. You’ve got to power through those first few mouthfuls, it gets easier. I have been in pain but it’s bareable with pain relief. It’s all a very unpleasant experience though! really hope it isn’t going to her any worse day 7+!

I’m 31 years old and had my tonsils removed 3 days ago. They kept me in overnight due to high blood pressure and heart rate. Pain has been consistent since the op and I’m expecting it to get worse day 5-10. Sleep has been pretty rough but it’s always when I wake up that I experience the most pain due to no painkillers so definitely recommend taking regulary. Been eating normal foods as I know the benefits are there rather than eating ice cream and jelly. In all seriousness, it just feels like a bad case of tonsillitis which I’m sure most of you will know what that feels like. Short term pain for long term gain in this case as you will never have to experience another case of tonsillitis again right? Back of my throat is like a white foam that will not budge but I know will go eventually. Keep drinking plenty of fluids. Warm tea has helped me. And plenty of pain killers. We all know the reason why we’re having them out and If you’re anything like me, I never want to experience tonsillitis again! So pull through the pain and you’ve made it. Best of luck!

I'm 27 and just had mine removed. I'm on day 9, just letting you know. It's still really painful and you'll still have a hard time swallowing. But icing your neck helps. Or fslling asleep with an ice pack rolled into a blanket as well. It helps keep down swelling and if your running a fever, cooks you down as well