Hi, I am very worried about my son. He has just entered his teens and I am aware of the dangers that today's teenagers are exposed to. I'm afraid of my child starting drugs and alcohol. He is not showing any symptoms of problematic behavior, but I think you can never be too careful when it comes to these things. What can I do to prevent my son from starting drugs and alcohol abuse?

Hi, I can understand your concerns, because I am a parent to a teenager as well. You hear stories about teenagers with some kind of serious problems every day. Many of my friends have talked to me about their children and the worries they put them through. I have to say I don't have these problems. I strongly believe that everything can be solved if you have quality relationship with your children. You won't achieve anything if you forbid your son to use drugs and alcohol. The trick is to talk to him about everything. You should build mutual trust. If your son believes you trust him, than he will trust in you too. Once again talk is of the greatest importance. You should be the source of information about these issues. If you say drugs are bad, don't use them, it will not have great impact. Especially if a friend of his says he has tried some and it made him feel great. Educate yourself about drugs and alcohol and give your son the facts about why drugs and alcohol are bad for him. A healthy family environment is also important. You should also make the time to meet his friends. If they are good kids, you should be able to trust them. I have applied this method with my daughter and so far so good. I hope you will have the same experience with your son.