Hello! I have to take care of my five years old niece next week. Since I am not that experienced in dealing with small children I want to be prepared for any possible accident. I have heard that burns are some of the most common accident in small children and I would like to be well informed in case something like that happens. What's the first thing to do after burn?

Hello! You should immediately put the burned area under the cold running water and you should not use butter or oils on a burn. Don’t apply ice since it can cause additional tissue injury. The burned should be covered with a sterile gauze bandage. Although it is impossible to keep children free from injuries all the time, taking some precautions can reduce the chances. Keep matches, lighters, chemicals, and lit candles out of reach and don't use fireworks or sparklers.