Hi, I have a problem. It seems that I am catching a cold. I have no idea how that happened. I always look after myself and take vitamins. But I guess that these measures of precaution are not enough. Now my throat hurts. Maybe I caught some kind of throat infection. Before I go to the doctor's, can you tell me something about throat infection and the drugs used in its treatment?

Hi, scratchy throat is usually a sign that you are getting sick. It is a viral infection of the throat and it turns into a cold or a flue. However, these throat infections usually go away by themselves in a few days period. A small number of sore throats can be caused by the bacteria infection. This condition is called strep throat. It is treatable and its treatment considers antibiotics. However, if not treated bacteria throat infection can cause complications like rheumatic fever. This illness will produce rash, pain and inflamed joints and can damage heart valves. Sometimes, kidney inflammation is experienced. However, only a small number of throat infections develop into these serious conditions. You probably have nothing to worry about, but just to be certain, pay a visit to your doctor so that he can examine you and prescribe the right therapy.