Hi there everyone,

A friend of mine has been having some problems recently. He had a hard time breathing and he can forget about exercising now because he gets a headache and fatigue when trying to exercise. He went to see his doctor about this and he told him that he probably has mitral stenosis. After they did some tests, it was confirmed: he was suffering from mitral stenosis.

His and mine lives are a lot similar so I don't know how could he get this. If he could have gotten it, then I could have it as well. Do you know what can I do in order to prevent it?

Hey Alan,

I'm afraid that I can't tell you a lot about this matter. The best way to prevent mitral valve stenosis is to prevent its most common cause, rheumatic fever. You can do this by making sure you and your children (if you got any kids) see your doctor for sore throats. Untreated strep throat infections can develop into rheumatic fever. Fortunately, strep throat is usually easily treated with antibiotics.

I don't think that there is anything more that you can do in order to prevent mitral stenosis. This should do the trick so any additional prevention would probably be unnecessary. 

Hey Stradivarius,

So you are saying that rheumatic fever is what is the main cause of mitral stenosis? I believe that rheumatic fever comes from streptococcus so basically, streptococcus is something that needs to be prevented here. Or you actually can't really prevent streptococcus, you can just treat it once you find out that you have it, am I not right?

And if by any case, let's say I get this rheumatic fever, what can I do to treat it, what can I do to remove it in order to protect myself from getting mitral stenosis? Any suggestions, please, it is an important information.

Well yes, that's basically it. To avoid getting strep throat, it is a good idea to avoid contact with anyone who has a strep infection. Wash your hands often when you are around people with colds or viral or bacterial illnesses. Do not share toothbrushes or eating and drinking utensils. 

If you manage to prevent getting strep throat, you managed to prevent yourself from getting rheumatic fever, which further means that you managed to prevent yourself from mitral stenosis. It least it appears to be that way, there are also some less common ways of getting mitral stenosis which I don't really know of.

Good day. I think that I prevented mitral stenosis as well a few years ago. And I prevented it because I have listened to the advice of my good friend. Anyway, the best way to prevent mitral valve stenosis is to prevent its most common cause, rheumatic fever. You can do this by making sure you and your children see your doctor for sore throats. Untreated strep throat infections can develop into rheumatic fever. Fortunately, strep throat is usually easily treated with antibiotics. So, you should see your doctor all the time if you are suspecting that you can have it but also you have to follow doctors instruction if you want to remain healthy. Good luck.

Good day there. There are a few ways to try to prevent or reduce the chance of getting mitral stenosis. For example, here is what you can do:

• you can get prompt treatment for any kind of the infections, especially if you are having a risk to have strep throat,
  • you should talk to your doctor about prophylactic antibiotic treatment because they are an amazing way to prevent possible strep infections,
  • also, you should follow any plan of the treatment that your doctor tells you to follow,
  • if you have a possibility to get mitral stenosis, you should avoid caffeine and alcohol, and I don’t want to talk about drugs.

Great adice, Eric D! I have heard about this way of the prevention earlier, but I was not sure is this that helpful or not. Now, I can see that it is. I remember that I was talking once with my doctor about the prevention of mitral stenois. And do you know what he told me? Well, he told me that the best way to prevent mitral stenosis is to prevent rheumatic fever and to prevent an endocar. It looks like that this is proven formula and that it really can help patients who have possibility to get mitral stenosis. It is worth of trying.

Good day everyone. So I can see that you already have a lot of amazing tips for preventing mitral stenosis. Well, this is amazing and I do believe that all of them are really effective. Mitral stenosis is a actually a disorder in which the mitral valve does not fully open. This restricts the flow of blood. But if mitral stenosis happen, you should know that doctors can react very soon. They can use anticoagulants or blood thinners, and they are actually used to prevent blood clots from forming and traveling to the other parts of your body. Also, antibiotics are used in cases of this diagnose.