Celebrity

Hey,

I have sensitive and dry skin and recently started using some new products in order to combat the dryness. I am not sure whether those products are responsible for what happened next, but I am now breaking out with spots around my hairline and, for lack of a better word, the edges of my face, that is, next to my ears and down toward my chin if that's clear. I don't have spots anywhere else on my face. This is really weird. It doesn't look good and I would very much like to eliminate this as soon as possible.

Help?

Rosie

Well, if you had just said that you were breaking out at the hairline but not around the edges of your face, the answer would have been obvious - your acne would probably be caused by some haircare product that you are using. As it is, though, and I'm sorry if I am being offensive here, could it be that you are concentrating on removing makeup from the central parts of the face but neglecting to remove it from the outer edges? That might explain why you are breaking out in those areas. I could be completely wrong of course so I hope I am not offending you.

That seriously sucks!!! I'm not assuming that your face is dirty either, Rosie, LOL, but you may have picked out some of the wrong products or your skincare routine may just be in need of a serious overhaul. I get that sometimes, that products that have been working great suddenly don't agree with my skin. 

If I were you, 'cause you always say your skin is so sensitive, I'd be looking into all natural products right now. Have you read about the Oil Cleansing Method? If not then give it a whirl, read about it on the web and see what you think. You could also try switching to mineral makeup which isn't comedonegenic. And yeah, exfoliate, but don't overdo that either (how have you been getting on with those natural exfoliators? too much of that perhaps???). Like, twice a week is really enough. You could also try toning with apple cider vinegar. 

Haven't seen you around for a while Rosie so for starters I'm wondering if you're doing alright, but I guess you're probably busy in this period leading up to the holidays and all that... I was reading something about pimples last night in a magazine on the train, and it actually mentioned that if you're dealing with acne around the hairline, making sure you use a royal amount of toner around that area can make a lot of difference. So I thought of you and thought, I bet this is something she could try out. Also make sure you use exfoliator right on the hairline, which you could perhaps be avoiding to make sure stuff don't get in your hair. Perhaps do it in the shower and wash your hair after or something?

Celebrity
Hey,

Me, you're asking about me? Oh, that's sweet! I am pretty busy with my job at the moment as it happens, and I also had some computer trouble recently. But yes, I'm fine. You won't believe that I actually just replied to someone else's suggestion to use a toner on another thread! This is not something I have used before, I have to say, although I do indeed clean around the hairline and the edges of my face, even more so since I started breaking out in that area. It is a mystery to me, and I believe I can probably chalk it up to stress or something.

Do you use a toner, and if so what one would you recommend? How does it work exactly?

Rosie

I, too, suspect that the overuse of products for your hair may be the culprit here. Have you tried, perhaps, using natural remedies around your hairline to see if it makes a difference? I was just reading about lemon juice and apple cider vinegar as options that do not only cleanse your skin and dissolve oil, but that also penetrate deeply and help prevent further blemishes. From what you have said here in the past, you seem to like the thought of home-made products, and these two certainly qualify. They really do seem promising, so if I were you I would be trying them.

I used to get acne around the hairline a lot. Why, I really don't know. What I do know is that when I moved to another state I changed my skincare products and at the same time I also of course started going to a different hair dresser, and changed my hair color. I will never be sure whether the products I was using were to blame for the acne, but I actually suspect that it was my hair dye! I mean, how different can two different day creams be? So if you do dye your hair, which, let's face it, involves hair dye touching your hairline and the edges of your face (which is then cleaned off after), then maybe try a different hair dye and see if your acne goes away.

Yep, it's very likely that the breakouts around your hairline are hair-related in some way. Perhaps you are using the wrong products, perhaps your hair is oily and this is rubbing off on your face, or perhaps you need to try washing your hair more often or less often.

It can also be a coincidence that these breakouts are appearing around your hairline of course, and it could have nothing to do with your hair at all.

In either case, you now want to make it go away if possible. I'd normally recommend benzoyl peroxide, which is a very effective ingredient for treating acne, but be aware that it does have the ability to bleach your hair so don't use it unless you already have very light hair. Salicylic acid is a good alternative that does not bleach your hair. Exfoliate with this on a daily basis and I think your breakouts will clear up soon.

Good luck!

Weird, but true.

I had acne on my right cheek and my right cheek only. I tried all the cleansers, toners and moisturizers to no avail. When I was seeing my doctor for something unrelated, I decided to ask him about the acne. She immediately asked me if I was right-handed. I am. What's that got to do with acne? Well, it turns out I had something called friction acne, from my phone of all things! Friction acne can also be caused by hats, scarves, or anything that comes into contact with your skin a lot. It is something you may want to consider.

That sounds fascinating.... I suspect I have a touch of that now and then, like you say it's always the right cheek and I thought it was menstruation related but now you mention it it could be the bloody phone that's doing it to me!!! What do you do about that then? Like, clean your phone regularly or something?

Rosie, have you though of trying with retinol or Retin-a? That is basically the gold standard in acne care and if nothing else is working I would be trying to get some of that.