I have recently begun to be more sexually active, but i have been encountering problems when trying to achieve and maintain an erection. I have pondered over what the cause could be but i have only come up with several possibilities. First of all, i think that my masturbation over the last several years might have been a contributing factor to my problem. I started masturbating about six years ago, and in the beginning i easily masturbated to fantasies or pictures of women. As the years progressed, however, i delved into more taboo subjects, and began to fail at achieving erections to standard porn. I have now for the most part stopped looking at porn, but i still cannot achieve an erection unless i think something is wrong or taboo. Another factor i have hypothesized could have led to my problem is sexual anxiety. Whenever i get into a sexual encounter i feel like i should be getting hard, and i desperately want to get hard, but i can't. I think anxiety might be causing me to fail at achieving and maintaining erections, because when i am with my girlfriend and we touch each other, i get hard, but only for several moments, and i cannot maintain my erection. Is there anything i could do to have a normal sex life? Please help me out.

Anxiety can be a possibility for your problem. When I first started off, I had the same problem. I was too afraid of how she would feel, if I could satisfy her, if she liked it, what she is thinking about me/the experience, etc. I've learned that sex has a lot to do with mental preparation. If you go into it with doubts about performance, than that is what might happen because of the pressure you are putting on yourself. Take in the sights, enjoy the sensations of her touching and kissing you. Try thinking about this and not how you are going to perform. Try thinking about how it will feel or what is about to happy (with a happy ending not worrying about what if he doesn't show again). It should take your mind off things and who knows...you might have a friendly visitor down south.

Hope that helps.

I agree with Gatoraide. I don't know if masturbation causes ED but anxiety is indeed a major cause of erectile failure. When you get too anxious, the release of stress hormones constricts peripheral circulation so that blood can get to your vital organs (heart, lungs) more rapidly. The penis is not a vital organ. In fact, the last thing you need when you're facing danger (e.g. escaping a lion) is an erection! This is the infamous fight or flight response. Do some research and talk to your doctor about it.

I can't speak for anybody else, but for me erectile dysfunction was caused by nothing more than pure anxiety. Whenever I was about ready to have sex with a really hot chic, I would feel pressured or obligated to perform. This mindset would cause my body to go into the Fight or Flight mode. Once in that mode, my heart would beat fast and I would tense my upper body muscles ( pectorals, biceps, triceps etc...). Well obviously form this point the adrenaline rush would kick in. This prepared me for survival and not sex. Blood was going to all my muscles except the one I needed.

Things didn't get better until I realized what the cause of my ED was. Now I pay close attention to what my body is telling me. Now I focus on not tensing my muscles and trying to relax so my heart rate is too fast.

Monitoring my body made a difference for me. I hope this helps.

In my earlier post, I meant to say that my main focus is to relax. I try to sense and release any muscle tension I feel in my body. Also, I try to slow down my heart rate as much as possible. I focus on breathing deeply and slowly. This helps me deal with the anxiety.