I am 18, and i graduated high school 4 months ago. Since then i haven't done anything with my life. I'm starting to stress the fact that I am going to be nothing but at the same time i don't know what to do. All of my friends went back to school or work. I would kind of like to go back to school but I have no idea how to apply or how to get money to go. I have been trying to get a job , but no luck with that. My mom isn't much help either because she didn't even make it out of highschool so she has no idea about college. I am also the oldest so all that was wanted from me was to finish high school. I'm not really getting any support from my family, and I'm really getting bothered by this. I'm not able to fall asleep sometimes becase I can't get this out of my head. Someone please give me some much needed words of advice.  

Mornin gabbs,

I am going to be 55 years old in December and i only WISH i went to college. I graduated from High School in 1975 with honor's and was on the honor role every single semester, so i have brain's but i had no desire to go on to college. What a stupid mistake that ws for me. Instead i decided to have baby's and get married, get a divorce and have more baby's and get married again, only to divorce and remarry yet again. Yikes....hmmmph.

Listen, you can check out FAFSA, they are a college loan program, but you need to find a college to enroll in. FAFSA support's Community College's as well. They pay your semester's as well as give you living expenses to the tune of $4,000.00 per semester. I have 5 children, my oldest, a son is a Phycologist, the second child, a daughter, just enrolled in community college and she is 33 years old, which FAFSA support's, 3rd daughter is just about done with community college and will receive her BA, she is 30, also suppoted by FAFSA, my son, who is 20 graduated from high school and went straight to work for a company that will outlast all of us and makes an excellent salary with amazing benefit's, he is taking night classes. Finally, my daughter, 21 is attending on line university, Grand Canyon to be exact. She is working toward's her BA with the help of FAFSA.

Bottom line is....you really should go to college, at least 2 year's, much more preferred. You can check out loan stuff on line and they will support your education.

Hi Gabbs,

I was going to give you some long blurb about things to try but figured, why not ask Gabbs what she wants to do.

So, what would you like to do?

Thanks, I'm going to look into FAFSA, i do want to go back to school. I guess the hardest thing for me is getting started.

medic-dan wrote:

bbfeet9 wrote:

Mornin gabbs,

Hi Gabbs,

So, what would you like to do?

I would like to go back to school and study in Marine Biology, well at least thats what I think I want.

gabbs123 wrote:

medic-dan wrote:

bbfeet9 wrote:

Mornin gabbs,

Hi Gabbs,

So, what would you like to do?

OK then,

You do have some options. How is your biology background? Did you do well in HS with it?

Do you live near an aquarium? I bet if you called someone they could point you in the right direction as to what you need to do AND some of these places have internship programs. Don't be afraid to get out and ask people what they do.

I'd also suggest that you ask to volunteer at such a facility. It would show you are interested, help you "network" in the field, and may help you get that internship.

As BB says, FAFSA is available. Other grants may be as well but you need to get out and talk to people.

Keep us posted.

I don't live near any aquriums, the closes one i can think of is the zoo. Maybe they might have internship, I'm going to look into it. I also found a school today, Texas A&M. It isn't far from Houston at all, and it really caught my attention.  I did good in biology in high school. Sciences and math have always been my strong subjects actually.

Good Gabbs.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck!

medic-dan wrote:

gabbs123 wrote:

Good Gabbs.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck!

Thank you very much. :)

First of all, figure out which college you wish to attend… Your local college is usually your best bet if you want to stay close to home. If you did not take the ACT or SAT in high school you will need to do this. A call to the admissions office at your local college can assist with this. The second step is call the high school and have them send a copy of your high school transcript to the college you have chosen. Also you will need to visit the admissions office at the college and apply for admissions. Once you are accepted they can direct you with the rest of the process they require. Also contact the financial aid office at the college you have chosen and they can help you with funding for school. Good Luck…

Side note Most Colleges will give you a scholarship if you score 30 or above on your ACT