I really want to become a obstetrician/gynecologist aka OB/GYN but I heard a lot of women would like a to be check out by another women instead of a man so is this true because I dont want to go to college for about 12 years just to get out an not find work.. so should I become an anesthesiologist

If you are an anesthesiologist you can look at anything you want once you knock the woman out. ;-)

Sorry, bad joke based on a bad experiance my wife had years ago with an anesthesiologist.

My wife prefers male gyno's and I've seen plenty of them in practice so I wouldn't worry about employment, the medical field is job security. People will always have ailments and our population is continuing to grow.

It depends on the womens personal life experiences as to which she would rather have for an ob/gyn.TM6U5P

I'd definitely prefer to have my private parts examined by a member of the opposite sex. I'm sure at least some women must feel the same way. ;-)

SAME SEX 4 ME. WOMEN ARE MORE GENTLE MEN HANDS ARE TO BIG AND I DONT WANNA HURT WHEN I GO FOR MY EXAM

Any particular reason why you want to be an OBGYN? Most guys just want to do it cause of... well... what they examine. Mind you I like the female anatomy as much as the next guy, but having to examine those that are diseased and what not... is kinda gross lol.

Best of luck to you.

Personally I find male OB's to be more gentle and their "bedside manner" to be better than a female OB's, and they generally are more attentive when listening.
I have had 2 children. 1st one was a female OB----didn't like so much.
2nd was a male. I prefer the male 100%

Obstetrics and gynecology (often abbreviated to OB/GYN, O&G or Obs & Gynae) are the two surgical specialties dealing with the female reproductive organs, and as such are often combined to form a single medical speciality and postgraduate training program. This combined training prepares the practicing OB/GYN to be adept at the surgical management of the entire scope of clinical pathology involving female reproductive organs, and to provide care for both pregnant and non-pregnant patients. Bachelors in biology would be ideal. Med school and then internship like you said. The other one you are talking about is nurse practitioner I believe. You go to standard nursing school and then take course beyond that for a few more years. You can do pap smears and prescribe medication (birth control etc) like a gynecologist, except you're not a doctor you're a nurse practitioner.

I prefer a male ObGyn. My regualr doc was away during the time my appt. came up, they called to ask me if i cared if a female doc did my routine check and pap. I didn't care, once you have had 5 kids you don't care who gets into your business. I wanted to get it over with and didn't care to make another appt. 3 weeks out.
A lady doc came in and the first thing i looked at was her hands, whew...she had real short nails, thank God!!!
Let me tell you, that was the worst check up i ever had. She examined me like she was drilling for oil. I thought she was trying to climb into my vagina. And she never warmed up that damn speculum either. "It's gonna feel a little cool" she said, cool my fanny, i thought she had taken it out of the freezer. Now she does the pap, yeow...once again she was doing some serious diggin.
I never bleed after a pap, this time i did and i will never have her again.
My man doc is wonderful and gentle and i really can't even tell that he is examining me.
I am sure all female docs are not that way, but it felt like this one was taking her anger out on my downstairs.

I prefer a male. They are a lot more gentle. Please be gentle, whatever you do. That Speculum Hurts some people. I once went to a female gynecologist, she was horrible! Had long nails, and knocked my ovaries around like she was in a fist fight. Go for it. Alot of women don't care, you will get PLENTY of patients.

Hi all,
I think that this is very important thing and that every women needs to be satisfied with her Ob/Gyn. I have a few female friends and as they tell me most of them prefer to have a check by a male doctor.
And sunshineangle, long nails are not nice at all. I don't know why didn't you tell her this? Or maybe you did and she didn't pay any attention to this?
You could've asked for another doctor.

No other doctor, only doctor in the office. I quit going to her after one visit. :-) Found a Man. :-D

Wow than this can be problem. For some people it is very hard to find a good doctor, that they feel very comfortable with. But it really seems like you had no option there. But the good thing is that you were able to find someone else.
I'm wondering was it hard for you to trust another ob/Gyn after you had bad experience with female one?