It is most likely Prepatellar Bursitis

Guest wrote:

Guest wrote: I have the same thing in my left knee at 30 years old. I describe the feeling as rug burn or lighter flame to the knee. my sister in law is a nurse and she told me it sounds like "bursitis". I googled it and found some impressive info that descibes my knee burning sensation exactly. hope this info was helpful, cheers.

I have the same problem on my left knee. when the skin is streched tight it gives a sensation of carpet burn, and is very annoying.
it only just started around 3 weeks ago at work when i went to kneel down and It was quite painfull. Other wise I can poke and prod the knee and it feels fine, only when the skin is streched.

I wish someone would have answered your knee problem, because mine is exactly like yours :!:

I was in a car accident, lady turned right in front of me I hit her direct going 45mph. My knee hit the dash hard I had dash paint in a gash on my right knee cap. from that point on it was numb and at first I couldnt walk or bend it at all. a month later all pain has subsided except if i kneel or put ANY pressure whatsoever on that half dollar sized spot on my knee. It is a horrible burning sensation and brings me to a complete stop when the pain occurs. I need some answers my dr said I had a bruised nerve and should heal w in a few months. it is now 2 months later and everything remains the same. 

In the past, I have had the bursa in my 47 year-old knees swell up after excessive kneeling, but never had ANY degree of painful bursitis.

However, I attempted to kneel down on soft carpeting last month, and voilà -- the amazingly searing rug burn sensation of the anterolateral knee (not precisely where the golf ball-like bursa has blown up a few times through the years, but to the right and below the kneecap) about which you fine folks are writing. I was certain that when I raised my pant leg to examine my knee (right knee, only), it would be raw and bloody, but as with all of you, the skin was unblemished.

Since it's winter and my skin has become dry, I thought this problem may have been fissures resulting from dry, cracked skin, as the symptom feels like it's in the dermis rather than within the knee. However, applications of Bag Balm, which have been excellent for cracked skin on my hands and feet, have been 100% ineffective.

While refraining from kneeling on the knee had erased the issue from my mind for the past few weeks, I can now feel a mildly unpleasant sensation  when my knee is bent >90 degrees, as when seated with my foot beneath my chair. While not painful, it's similar to stretching skin on which you've had a large burn or scrape and a scab has formed at the start of the healing process.

This aging business is for the birds.    %-)

Arg-- I have this too!  It is quite painful and has taken my breath away. doesn't seem serious but it is so annoying and does hurt!. I wish someone could help with an OTC type med, I dont have insurance and cant afford a doctor visit.  I may try arnica cream or something like that.. will post back with feedback if I get some or find a solution.

take care all

I have the exact same thing, it started 6 months ago, a burning sensation on my knee with no actual pain, if I wear trousers or if anything comes in to contact with my knee theres a terrible feeling of burning like Im sittng infront of a roaring fire, has any one found out what causes this.

Knee pain. I had the same knee pain discribed below. I went to physio and he found a pocket of fluid on knee. I had to rest from exercise for a few weeks and take max dose of nurofen extra. When I went back fluid had completely gone!!

I have the exact symptoms: burning sensation on my outer right knee cap when kneeling, and never at other time. This is the second time I've had it, and both times I've gotten it post-surgery. Both times it has resolved by itself with time. I think it has to do with a nerve that was temporarily damaged during surgery -- either by the surgery itself or by the pressure to the nerve because of the position I was in during surgery. I am not worried about it at all and just try not to kneel to often. If your symptoms are just like mine with no other knee pain, I think you can rest easy that it will resolve and it isn't anything serious or terminal.

I might have found something that could help narrow down the pain many of you guys are describing. Checkout http://www.masterdocs.com/kneepain/start.php and answer all of the questions. The site is old looking and clunky but it seems to be based on a pain analysis study done on people with knee pain. I had a similar issue with a burning sensation just below and outside my right knee. The difference is that I'm a 28 year old runner. According to the website I linked, my problems could be stemming from an ITB issue. 

I have the exact same symptoms - I checked out the above masterdocs.com site and it suggested I have osteoarthritis. I'm seeing a Rheumatologist next week to hopefully get a diagnosis. I've had this condition for quite a while now - been to my primary care physician and a few others due to fever of unknown origin. I'm thinking now they are all related.

I've had a pain in my right knee ever since the car accident I was in 9 months ago. I noticed it acfew hours after the accident. I was not injured just a bit of back pain, but I was sitting on the passenger side that was hit on the front right side. I thought maybe my knee hit the glove box. I don't remember my knee hitting anything, but then again everything happened so fast. I had never felt that pain before. I was walking down the stairs & there was a sharp pain in my right knee & it almost gave out. It happened twice & then went away & now 9 months later it comes & goes. If I kneel & stand it hurts & there is a little bit of a warm or slight burning sensation. It's so strange & painful at times. I don't have insurance either & have put off going to a doctor. I think I need to figure out the money part & get checked out.

I've had this problem since march, I dislocated my left knee cap so my right knee had to work over time. I went to see my GP and waited 2 mouths for an appointment to see a specialist and when the letter came it seed that i had to wait 2 more mouths for the appointment. The pain is very bad when driving and when my leg is bent in general, pain killers give some release but the NHS is giving me the run around. Until my appointment I'm stuck with this painful burning sensation. If I had the money I would go privet          

Quote:

I have the same "rug burn" feeling under my right leg. Does anyone know what causes this? I don't have health insurance so I don't want to go to see a doctor.

Well, sometimes when you have a burning sensation in your knees, you might have some sort of a burn inside your skin. Maybe the joint or the bone is very senitive to this sort of position that it causes burning. It is kidn of unknown why this is, but all in all, you might have a burn of some sort or you might just have a some throbing skin.

Well you might have Tendinitis. It is when you have pain around your joints and feel a burning feeling. Symptoms can vary from aches or pains and local stiffness, to a burning that surrounds the whole joint around the inflamed tendon. Swelling may happen along with heat and redness, but not in all cases, there may be visible knots surrounding joint. With this condition, the pain is usually worse during and after activity, and the tendon and joint area can become stiffer the following day as muscles tighten from the movement of the tendon. Many patients report stressful situations in their life in correlation with the beginnings of pain which may contribute to the symptoms. If the symptoms of tendinitis last for several months or longer it is probably tendinosis.

I have the same problem and the comparison to a rug burn is exactly how I discribe it. It also burns when I kneel on it or push on it.I just wish I got an answer but I'm happy to see it must be somewhat common