:-( The main gist is, we had our problems at the start and we blamed them on having a lot on and being tired. I'm his first girlfriend, he'd never been in love and when we met, we knew we were supposed to be together. I thought the idea of commitment was too much for him too when he'd have an episode. And then it happened again and again... he'd break up with me. Claim he didnt love me. Say he wanted to be single, and I'd be trying to tell him that he didnt really feel this, he was fooling himself, then he'd end up coming back to me a few weeks later after he'd said some really hurtful things. He'd be on his knees telling me how sorry he was, how it would never happen again, how he was fighting against himself when he had these "episodes". Our lives steadied out, he was going to move away, and he knew I wanted to go with him but he was scared. In the end he felt ready and asked me to move with him, and asked me to move in with him. We got a great place, everything's been great. Although he had a few weeks here and there when he wasnt feeling great he spoke to me a bit more and we got through it together. He hasnt broken up with me since may 2010. I went home for 4 nights, I got back yesterday, he was distant while I was gone, when I came in the flat, he'd packed. He ambushed me, told me he was moving out. Someone was waiting with his stuff in the car. If it were anyone else I would say "f**k it". But it's not. It's the love of my life, I'm absolutely certain. However now the stakes are quite big, I cant stand to stay in our empty place, memories everywhere. I cant stand to be alone in a city I moved to for him. I am completely alone. This is his home town, he has things here. I didnt even get a proper explanation. Just that he didnt want "this" (gesturing to the flat?) That he wasnt happy and that he felt in a rut. For two hours I tried to get through to him, I got maybe 5 sentences out of him, and most the time they weren't even sentences, just a few words. It's like he's fighting with himself to think straight. I'm so devastated. I'm sure with the frequency and the symptoms it has to be a mood disorder, he wont admit theres anything wrong, he wont see anyone, and he refuses to talk to me. I want to stay in case he sorts things out, I don't want to move home and for him to then suddenly realise he's made a mistake. I've moved my whole life for him, our relationship is so perfect when were not having this sort of "episode". Every time this happens he tells me he doesn't want me, he doesn't love me. He tried to do this yesterday, I know it's a lie. But I'm in pieces. How can you help someone if they wont admit there's something wrong? Anyone with any experience or help please do post a comment. My whole world's fallen apart.

Other than calling it a flat, you have typed out my scenario. Please share what happened for you because it looks like you posted in February and I am posting in May- 5 days after the slap in the face. This is the 4th time in 12 years. Any advice? Thanks.

I think the only advice I can give you, is to turn the other way. I think if you don't beg, if you become confident in yourself and have the attitude of, "it's not my issue it's his" that they then seem to turn themselves around. If they can see you don't need them it seems to trigger something. The thing is with a mood disorder it can take longer, and it's not just as easy as making them realise they've made a mistake because if they do have something along those lines it seems that it can take a long time to come out from a phase of numbness. From how I understand it, that's why things like this happen because they don't have the emotional attachments they usually do, it seems that the unhappiness takes over. Just know that no matter how supportive you are, or if you try to shake them out of it or whatever you do, your probably not helping and it's something they have to figure out on their own. It's annoying, because it causes such an upset to your life, it's just up to you where you draw the line. It's inevitable it will happen again do you want to be around when it does? In my situation he's come back round to realising he made a mistake, but I have to decide if I want to go through it again. It's hard because each episode makes it more difficult to get over, and it takes it's toll on how you feel, and maybe even how much you care anymore. I hope things work out for you. I'm so sorry you've had to go through it too. After such a long time as well. :( My thoughts are with you. 

Did he ever come back? My boyfriend just broke up with me. He has undiagnosed Cyclothymia! He has broken up many times but it is the first time he really left and told me he never wanted to see me again!