My mom has pod too sadly. How did you get her to accept treatment?

On the basis of your comment, I suggest we both should have a DNA test because you must be my long-lost brother! There's no need for me to write my post now because you've written it for me, more or less to the letter. I'm not sure how reading your comment has helped me, but it really has, so thank you.

Man i started crying when i read this post
I have been dealing with this for 10 years and by the way this post was written i thought my brother was posting it.

It's so comforting to feel a little less alone in all of this. I've had a very complicated relationship with my mother who is a hypochondriac (The paranoia only surfaced about a year and a half ago) since I was about 10 and she suffered a minor injury that has spurred 8 years of countless doctors visits, medications and new injuries that appear just as the old ones heal in an exhaustively endless cycle. She's been unemployed for close to six years and has isolated herself from friends, extended family, everyone except total strangers that she'll share her life story with. (I understand that I'm doing the equivalent here but I really feel that I have no other outlet). About a year ago, she started becoming increasingly paranoid, walking around in the woods at night, moving things,setting boobytraps, covering up all the windows, clocks, lights, tv's, and mirrors in our house. She's accused my father of hanging lights and cameras in the trees behind our house to watch her, she thinks he has drones fly over the house to spy on her. She's accused my younger sister and I of stealing her keys, phone, and pain medication so she has to constantly get more. She's filed multiple police reports and it's obvious that the cops don't believe her. she's convinced that people are after her, we've changed all of the locks twice but she believes people are making copies and she's involved and accused our neighbors, further alienating herself and making it difficult for her daughters to fit in at school. At one point my father convinced her to check herself into a facility which we thought would help (It was the most relaxing week of our lives to not have to constantly worry about my mother). but during that time we found her stash of "stolen" medication which turned out to be a lot stronger stuff than we thought it was, and the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of my opinion of my mother was watching my twelve year old sister count all of her bottles of morphine. While my mother's drug abuse was far more severe than what we could have imagined, we hoped that this facility would be a step in the right direction. However since that time my mother has backpedaled and her paranoia and our constant anxiety is worse than ever, especially because she still refuses to admit their is anything wrong with her. The other day she started a small fire in our home because she sticks paper towels in electrical sockets so no one can "watch" her, and then claimed the men who broke into our house had started the fire. I'm a 17 year old girl and I don't know what to do next in this situation if my mother won't accept help or admit any sort of problem, the eating disorder I've developed as a result of these circumstances has never been more severe, and I don't know how I can establish any sort of order in my home or help my sister and father through this. I feel very lost and very unsure of how to proceed.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I am also 17 and experiencing a similar situation with my mom. For the past year now, she has came up with countless conspiracies of people watching and spying on her. This started when she was on a job in another state and she said a man had drugged and raped her. She came home and was never the same again. She immediately lost all of her closest friends, even those from her childhood, accusing them of being "in on it." I remember going to a local restaurant we had went to for years when she asked one of the waiters if he had "seen the video" of what I'm guessing was her being raped. Going anywhere with her is a constant struggle. She will go out of her way to follow certain vehicles that she thinks are spying on her. She put a piece of duct tape over every visible screw in our house because she believes they are cameras. She took apart her car radio because somehow it was a tracking device. She no longer has a cell phone, and refuses to speak over the phone about certain things, such as where we're going to eat because she thinks they will do something to her food. I want to help her so bad, but she refuses to believe anything is wrong with her. After reading these posts, I'm not sure there is anything that can help her. I just want my mom back

Are people still checking this? I would love some advice.

thank you so much, for sharing this with us - It's so difficult to have to walk on eggshells with the people you love and I so admire your strength. The techniques would help me so much with my mother who seems to get worse while I get older and more aware that she is becoming more paranoid and irrational - I am an undergraduate in my pre-clinical years of medical school and this sharing is honestly so moralizing and inspiring as an example of sharing medical knowledge to help people.

Hello, I know it's been over a year ago since you wrote this but your story is too similar to mine regarding my father. Did you receive any kind of help for your mother? 
Not sure where else to turn for help

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I think my mom has this :( i makes me sad because it ruins her life

Wow! That was my mom. I love her.

It's so reliving to see that other people have experienced the same,
My mum is mentally ill, I have tried to go talk to our family doctor to ask for help and was turned away with the fact that because my mother won't come to the doctors herself and admit she has a problem and needs help there is nothing that can be done.
Drugs play a huge part in my mums health, she has smoked cannabis for 20+ years so you can imagine the side effects this is given off. Since the age of 5 it has always been me my mum and older brother, my mum wasn't bad at first and it was liveable for the majority of it she acted like a normal mother should. Then when I got to the age of about 11 the cracks started to show, she'd talk to herself constantly you could stand and stare at her having a full conversation with herself watching her believe every word she said, everybody was out to get her. The locks on the doors were constantly changed, all windows had to be locked at all times so did the door even when we were all in the house. She'd unscrew plug sockets off walls and start fiddling around with the wires certain they was cameras hidden in them the same with the ceiling lights in each room, she began to get really nasty and it was me and my brother that was wrong and twisted when we didn't believe the crazy story's she had made up in her head. As time went on it got worse and worse and turned psychical, in random angry outbursts she'd hit out kick, slap and punch both of us for doing and saying absolutely nothing. It became worse the fact nobody believed me or my brother. My Grandmother (mums parent) constantly swept it under the carpet when we told her what was going on she didn't and still doesn't want to believe her daughter is as sick as we're saying. And slowly one by one she's lost contact with everybody, she has no friends, no family, as soon as me and my brother became old enough we both seperatley moved to the opposite sides of the country, it was unbearable, nobody would help us and we could no longer live that way. As part of her paranoia she wouldn't open any mail that came through the door adamant it was hacked by people who were out to get her, as a result of this she's now lost the house through not paying the bills and was made homeless, she's had to go stay with my grand mother and now my grandmother has realised the reality of my mother and her problems and is begging both me and my brother for help. I can't help this woman, she's destroyed me emotionally and psychically it's too late I need counciling and drastically struggle with my emotions and letting people as a result of the worst childhood I could of possibly had all because nobody would listen to me or my brother about her problems

I thought i was alone in this one.

Your response has given me so much hope for successfully communicating with my mom, whom I believe has a paranoid disorder. I'm sure you are a fantastic nurse!

Most definitely not

My sister's and i are going through the same thing with my Mom@