Reading these posts has made me feel slightly better to know i'm not the only one suffering with this. My mother has always been super paranoid and an excessive worrier, and i believe the way she has been with me throughout my childhood has really affected me as an adult... i have no self-confidence, i'm a perfectionist, have social anxiety etc. Only now i am realising however that there is something much more complex going on with her though after a few months ago she started watching very random conspiracy videos on the internet and believed them all 100%. From then her personality changed overnight, she has been glued to her phone ever since watching these videos day in day out. She has been pushing people out of her life, not going out much only to shop and walk the dog, she doesn't watch tv anymore which is something she used to do all the time. Instead every day, when she isn't at work, she sits at home in silence watching the videos. Since this her delusional thinking has really become evident, she believes basically the world is going to end very soon and the governments in on it and they're doing things in the sky to the sun to hide whats going on. She says things like 'they're spraying us with stuff' and thinks the government is trying to make everyone ill to 'kill us all off'. I would catch her examining the sky and taking pictures of it, saying it isn't normal and using the fact that she saw airplanes as proof that they're trying to cover the sun. At one point i was due to go on a holiday and she burst into my room in the middle of the night whilst i was asleep panicking about how i couldn't go anymore. I thought something really serious had happened, turns out she had just been watching more videos saying planet x or whatever is going to crash into earth. It seemed like she was making plans for this end, saying we all needed to be at home together. She told me we need to get air purifiers for the house and will now only drink bottled water. She also thinks its like her duty to save everybody somehow by making them all aware? She keeps saying everyone needs to wake up. I'm not sure if this is a delusion of grandeur as she says things like she is above everybody else, like something elite, and she believes she might have alien in her bloodline e.g. when she sees me or my brother exercising she says 'you're not human' and 'you think i'm joking'.. implying we literally aren't human. She has also become full vegetarian, which would be fine in normal circumstances but she's spent her entire life eating and enjoying meat, and has stopped drinking alcohol, again something she used to love. She won't stop going on about how pure this makes her feel. She has now - tonight- also started saying that most female celebrities are actually men, and that 'they're trying to do away with us women'. This is what upset me tonight and lead me to find this page, as i had put on a documentary about a celebrity we both love (or loved) thinking we could spend time together watching it as we are due to see her in concert next year. All she could say to this was 'she's definitely a man' and 'why don't you go watch this upstairs'. So i guess this has upset me because its like losing somebody, she's just a different person now.
This is something i'm really struggling with at the moment, I went to the doctors myself a few months back and they suggested she has anxiety. I challenged this as i work in mental health and this is definitely something a lot more complex, however i booked her in for a GP appointment which she didn't attend. She made me cancel it because she doesn't trust professionals and doesn't believe anything is wrong with her at all, so obviously she can't get any help unless she's a risk, which is infuriating.
Its only from the past few months that i realise she has been like this for as long as i've known her. For the past 10 years she had a serious issue with a neighbour, and she thought she was purposely vandalising her house/car, listening at the walls to our conversations with a glass, throwing things into our back yards. At one time there were some wires outside of our house which were cut and she completely flipped out with the neighbour accusing her of doing it, turns out it was some guys fixing the internet. But even with direct evidence against her beliefs she still fully believed the neighbour was out to get her. There is a lot more to this, but overall she was basically delusional and i believe the neighbour did nothing, but she would talk about her constantly. We have since moved house, so it seems like now she can't be deluded over that she has moved onto a different delusion.
I have a lot to stress about in my life already without this, i come home from work and listen to her go on about this c**p. It's having a serious effect on my own mental health and theres nothing that can be done. I feel so guilty for saying but i can't wait to just move out. She was so overbearing and ridiculously strict when i was growing up and she still tries to control my life at the age of 23. I love her so much because she's my mother but i feel like at every stage of my life just the way she is ruins it. Again there's a lot more i could say about all of this but i would be typing forever!
It just feels good to get it all out as i don't really have anyone i would be comfortable talking to about it all.

Me too, except she thinjs everyone us treating her like a child.. And that nobody is on "her" side. She is prescribed with medical Marijuana but i think that us effecting her. This all started after she lost her job and started drinking.. She got sober but I think its driving her out of her own mind. For example, my brother just washed towels and my mom said to put the same towels in the washer again. After my brother questions her and asks my grandparents if they smell clean, my mom outbursts and said, "Everyone treats me like a child! Even my own children! I'll just get out of the friggin house because I'm a drug and alcohol addict!" When I told her to calm down, she slapped me and threw me on the bed by my hair. She also made a gash in my brothers head after he didn't want to waste a whole load of water on already clean towels. She has the outburst at random times, its extremely confusing and me and family don't know how to help. Please help... I am really scared for my mom!

My sister has DDPT, Delusional Disorder Persucatory Type. It has increased over the years, and began when her husband had an affair and she divorced him. She insinuates the worst, no matter what I say or do. If I said "the sky is blue" she would respond, "Blue? You think I'm blue, depressed? I'm fine. You're the one who needs help." Her executive functions are intact, so she fancies herself a Miss Marple, imagining conspiracies in our family, our church, among others. She is very articulate and normal with most people. Reading through all these stories, i guess the best is to affectionately avoid, as suggestion of treatment or treatment itself makes it worse.

Hey, I absolutely agree with each nd evry point you said because my mom does the same stuffs. She is addicted to tobacco , being a lady . Not being judgemental . She abuses a lot, everytime. For the past 20 years I'm tolerating her . I'm fed up. She has left my father's bedroom from the day I was born.
Once I told her that I dont feel like having non-veg and I wil better prefer to switch to veg for few days. The uttered nothing. That night she sat on my chest , held me by my collar and made up a complete fictional vegetarian boy I'm dating and that's why I'm refusing chicken.
I was angry but I bursted in tears. She slapped me thrice and kicked my under belly hard just to make sure,the neighbours doesn't know whats going on. There are many such incidents. I feel irritating while I elaborate.

i can totally relate to this. My mum is paranoid and cynical. she is afraid of people breaking into the house and even lock me out many times by accident. she's also afraid of handphone exploding, gas supply exploding and iron catching on fire. she has practically no friends and thinks very negatively of life and people. shes also very suspicious of people's intention and always assume things. she even thinks people hack into her phone when its just her being paranoid. she also throw away things without asking permission. its being unsociable and inactive in mental and physical that worsen it.

Exactly, my mom has an issue, she is assuming random people are harassing her but there isn't anyone bothering her. She's been this way for years. When I suggested that she seek help she laughed at me and said that I needed help for not seeing that she was being gang stalked. I don't doubt that it happens to people but I just don't see what she is "seeing ". I (we) love her so much but it's driving a huge wedge between our entire family. Any suggestions are welcome. We all want her to have a " normal" life without paranoia.

Thanks.

These posts have been extremely helpful. My mom, who is now 78, started with some paranoid thoughts back in her 40's. She thought people were watching her, stalking her, reading her mail. Fast forward to now, and she still thinks that. This past January she became convinced that her next door neighbor broke into her house and stole from her... very random items; a can of paint, underwear, clothing, shoes, a pocketbook, (she's always sewed) rolls of sewing trim, scraps of wood, small decor objects, food from her freezer, the list goes on. She talks to everyone about the 'robbery', hairdresser, customers and employees at the drug and grocery stores, doctors, her dentist and all the medical and dental staff. She has spoken to people that live on her street, and now she's stating that nobody will talk to her. She's been isolated for 10 years, we've invited her to events, dinners etc. and she declines. She is extremely opinionated, very stubborn, and has always thought she's worked harder than everyone else, is smarter than everyone else, and does anything better than anyone else....it's frustrating. Every time I call her, at least once per week, she spends an hour reliving the event, telling me what else she's found that has been stolen, and says some really nasty about the woman she believes who did this to her. Mom is convinced there was a 'group' that broke in. It's impossible to have a normal, healthy conversation with her. If I even suggested to her that I don't believe what she believes, she will change her phone number, and not tell me - and won't talk to me for a year. It's happened before. As she get's older, I want to ensure she is o.k., so not talking isn't an option.