Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has an answer to this.

I like drinking. I never drink alone, but I love to go out with my friends to a pub or somewhere and get completely wasted. However, lately, when I get drunk, I am not the funny guy that I usually am. I become really depressed and I have very black thoughts. Last time I kept saying to my friend that my life is miserable and that I should end it, that it is the only way for me to feel good. I don't feel this way when I am sober, please help.

alcohol is a depressant.

What about your sober life, Guest? Do you ever get depressed when you are sober?

In my country people say that when you are drunk, you speak only truth. This makes me wonder if you honestly believe that your life is miserable and that you are not happy. I wouldn't worry about your suicidal thoughts, people who are talking about their suicide never do it, they are just expressing how unhappy they are. People who commit suicide are those who never really talk about it.

Alcohol is a depressant, just like njoynlife wrote above, it can make people depressed, it all depends on your mood.

It is common, alcohol doesn't work the same with everyone.

When I am along with friends, I am super happy and I am great company if I drink alcohol. However, as soon as I stay alone, I start being depressed and I start overthinking everything that is happening to me and I am not satisfied with it.

So basically, the things that you are holding inside of you come out when you are drunk so if you are generally unhappy, even if you are trying to hide it, it will all come out when you start drinking, so better not do it, instead, fix your life.

Well, it is true, I can be honest with you people here. I am pretending to be strong, everyone considers me as a funny and generally happy person with good vibes and positive energy, you know. But the truth is, that is just a mask, I am actually dying on the inside. I am not happy at all, I enjoy making other people smile, I enjoy making them happy, but I am not happy and I don't know what I want, or what needs to happen in order for me to be happy. I am lost, and I can't even find comfort in alcohol anymore.

There you go Guest, you know the answer already. You are already feeling depressed deep down so alcohol is bringing it out of you. You need to start working on yourself. I have a friend who had the exact same problem as you are having, he talked to me and he told me about how he feels. I told him to talk to a psychologist, I have a friend who is a psychologist and a really good one indeed, so he started visiting him and he is getting better now, he is making a progress, maybe you should try and do the same thing.

Hey there. What do you mean when you say that alcohol is a depressant. For everyone or for certain people? I don't know what to think now about this whole situation? But I know that this was not happening to me before, I never had problems with this and I was drinking before this. And also no one ever told me that alcohol is a depressant, people were telling me that alcohol is going to help me feel better when I have problems with myself, when I am sad or something like that. Now, I don't know who to trust and what to believe? Should I quit drinking alcohol completely?

Hey there Nina 85. Occasionally - no. When I am sober I feel good. Even when I am alone for a days I feel good, I feel like nothing is going to happen to me or like nothing is going to get me nervous or depressed. Anyway, I am sure that my life is not miserable and I know that I am happy, but I just can't stop drinking alcohol when I am out with my friends. I don't think that I need to go to some therapies to avoid alcohol, because I am not an alcoholic. Now I have to tell you that I am very confused....

Good day there. Guest, I understand that you are confused but I don't understand what you can't tell from those posts, and I can see that you don't understand a lot of things. You have problems with alcohol, and no one told that you are an alcoholic. If you see that you are depressed when drinking alcohol, that means that you have problems and you need to find the way to deal with those problems. 

Like others told you, every type of alcohol is depressant and it can cheer you up for a while, so try to stop drinking totally. 

Hey, there is no need to be so cruel about this. One drink can't make harm to  no one, while getting drunk it can. So, I don't think that you should stop drinking alcohol totally, because you told that you drink when you are out with your friends, all you need to do is to find a way to control how many drinks you are going to drink. I notice that I have problems with it as well. I have similar feelings in my moods all the time and alcohol just brings them out on the surface. But only when I drink a lot of alcohol. I am not saying that alcohol has positive effects, it has NO positive effects at all, but still - one drink can't make a damage.