Hello. My dog is not ok, please help. I am not sure if everything is ok with him physically, I think it is. But mentally, he is definitely not ok. He was always a cheerful dog and now he seems very sad. Before, when I say to him ‘’let’s go for a walk’’ , he is already in front of the door holding his collar and waving his tail. Now, when I say that, he doesn’t even get up. He refuses to eat, he doesn’t want to cuddle. It’s like he is depressed. Can you tell me what is the best treatment for a depressed dog?

You need to entertain him. Sometimes dogs feel lonely and they lack attention, especially if their owners are busy at work all the time. You need to show him that you are there for him.  Play with him, buy him some new toys, try to put him together with some other, more cheerful dogs…

Buy treats for him, that might help. Make him run and make him play. Spend as much time with him as you can.

If that doesn’t help, you’ll have to take him to the vet and he’ll probably prescribe some antidepressants.  But I think you can cheer him up without the vet.

Depression is something that is common in dogs. In some stages of dog's life, he becomes depressed and sad. But, this is something that can be cured. First, you need to pay more attention to your dog, you should buy some new toys to him, and let him play with it. Maybe he wants a new buddy? You can bring a new pet and see what is going to happen. Also, your dog needs a lot of exercise in the nature, as well. When you go in a walk with your dog, you should bring some ball with you, and exercise with your pet. There are so many ways to cheer up your dog. 

Hey there. I had a lot of problems with one of my dogs when he went from my home, and he was missing a few days. When he came back, he was really sad, scared and depressed. I did everything to help him, and I did it, but two months later. It was hard process for us. I was buying him toys, I was playing with him – but nothing. But, then, I brought one new dog, small one, and very soon, he started to play with him, and he was just fine. So, this is one of the options. If you don’t want a new pet, you should try with toys, for example. 

Depression in dogs can be a very common thing since many dogs suffer from separation anxiety. This means they will become depressed every time when they notice their owner is not there.

And since pretty much all of us leave the house regularly (to go to work for example) this can be an everyday occurrence.

What you need to do is to keep him busy.

If you need to work all day have someone (your neighbor for example) check up your dog from time to time. Don’t let him be alone for too long. If you really need to go for a long period of time, take him with you. 

This is not exactly the treatment but here are some tips that might help you: 

1. Find time to spend with your dog. You can't leave him alone for 8-10 hours every day like most people do.  

2. Try to take him to the places he has never been before. Give him a long walk so that when he comes home, he will be exhausted and he will have a good sleep.  

3. Always tend to take him for a walk in the morning. This is important because in the morning the sun is usually shining and that will probably help him.  

Hey. My sister’s dog was really depressed before. But, the main reason was exactly because she was spending a lot of time out of her home, she was working more than 8 hours and she had pretty much activities in her life. Actually, her dog was alone a lot of time. When she noticed this, and she started to work less, about five hours a day, and she cut some of her social activities. She is spending a lot of time with her dog and he is much, much happier. In her case, this was the main reason.  Play more with your dog. 

Dogs need all the attention in the world. And since we often don’t have that much time for them, they easily become depressed.
Of course, there are some situations (like the loss of a family member or the owner) when their depression is understandable and even expected. That’s the hardest type of depression to treat I think.
And if your dog’s depression is the result of loneliness and boredom you can treat it at home with love and affection. Just reserve all your spare time for your dog and as soon as he feels loved he will start feeling better mentally.

I would recommend a walk in the park, if you have any near your place. If not, you can drive him there. Whenever I see my corgi is less cheerful than usual, I take him to the park so he can run with other dogs, mark wider territory and exhaust himself. J The fresh air is good for me as well.

Also, if your city is having a dog’s training ground, you can take him there. We got brand new one last year, but the two of us went there for one time only. It’s always too crowded and I prefer to take him to the park.