Hi, I was diagnosed with gallstones in december whilst pregnant. I endured several serious attacks and spent several days in hospital on an IV drip...I gave birth to my daughter in June and in July i sufferred pancreatits,after having a gallstone attack..i spent 3 days in hospital on an IV drip and the pancreatitis cleared up...as far as i know the pancreatitis was mild, as the only treatment i was given was IV fluids and pain relief (and nil by mouth)

I had my gallbladder removed 5 days ago,taking the blooming stones with it...I am wondering though, after having my bout of pancreatitis, will i ever be able to drink alcohol again? I wasn't a big drinker before i got pregnant, and havent touched alchohol since september 08(when i got pregnant) i do however enjoy a drink on social occasions, and special occasions..it's my husbands birthday this weekend and would love to be able to go out for a few drinks with him and also i am going to a wedding in october which i would enjoy having a few drinks at...

Also i am only 23 and the idea of never being able to drink again depresses me...

Hi yummymummy2009

"Never again' for drinking? Don't think so!

It sounds like your pancreas became inflamed because one or more of the gall stones were blocking the duct. This would have caused digestive enzymes to 'back up' into your pancreas, rather like a blocked drain, bringing on inflammation and some damage.

However as long as you give your pancreas time to heal, you should be able to drink again in the future. Talk with your doctor about what is a 'safe' time to wait for your first drink. The time for healing is really important, as if you don't give your pancreas a break first, a chronic inflammation could develop, giving you long term problems.

Hope this helps - let us know how long you have to wait.

Regards, Olwen

Hey thanks for your quick reply :-) I go to see my surgeon on 2nd september to check everything is ok from the op so i will definitely be asking him then, i didn't really want to bother my own doc just to ask him if i will be able to drink again.
You're reply has certainly helped me :-)

I suffer from Bipolar Disorder, and sometimes the slightest thing can make me feel really depressed. At the moment the fact I cannot do anything with my little girl kills me (shes only 9weeks) her daddy has to feed her and bathe her, although i know this is only until my body recovers from the op. But as i said being only 23 the idea that i may never have been able to drink again really upset me. I don't want to sound like i rely on alcohol because i don't, i just really enjoy a drink every now and again :-)

You have certainly lifted my spirits a bit so thank you :-)

As soon as i speak to either my doc or my surgeon i will be sure to let you know how i got on.

Thank you so much again :-)

YummyMummy2009 xx

I agree that you need to talk to your doctor perhaps before September 2nd because it sounds like you need to talk about some important stuff. I agree with what Olwen has posted. Can you let us know how it goes?

Good news and bad news...been to see my doctor, good news is he told me i am fine to enjoy (responsibly of course) a drink :-) with no risk of further damage etc...bad news i got an infection in one of my wounds from my op :-( so i'm on anti-biotics. Fingers crossed it'll go soon coz it's rather painful.

So seen as how i passed my college course i celebrated at the weekend and had 2 drinks :-) yes only two i knew my body couldn't cope with anymore so i left it at that :-)

YummyMummy2009 xx

Well, the good news is good and the bad news isn't as bad as expected! And it's good that you were able to drink a little. I'm glad that you were responsible and that you know your body's limits. you really have to pace yourself. Congrats and let us know how you feel :-)