hi, recently my six year old son got a strange rash on the skin around his mouth. I thought that it will go away if I make him wash his hands and watch his hygiene even more. But since it is very hard to control kids at that age, he continued scratching the rash and now blister-like changes have appeared around his nose and mouth. He constantly complains about itching, I try to convince him not to scratch but it doesn’t work. He even pealed one of the blisters off and that left a red scar on his skin. What should I do about this, any recommendations, will the scars be permanent?

Your son seems to have a skin disease which is pretty common in small children and it is called Impetago. Impetago is caused by staphylococci or streptococci, the bacteria that usually grows on the skin. When a damage to the skin occurs, or when the immune system is weak infections can happen. Impetago is an infection of the superficial layers of the skin. It doesn’t go deep into the dermis so it shouldn’t leave scars after it is cured. It is highly infectious so I would advise you to be careful and not get infected yourself, use separate towels for you and your son. I think you should take your son to the doctor as soon as possible, Impetago is very infectious, it can spread to other parts of the body and cause serious complications if left untreated. Because it is a simple bacterial infection it is treated with antibiotics like erythromycin or dicloxacillin, but for diagnosis and treatment options it is the best that you talk to your physician.

are there any over the counter medicines I can buy for impetago?

Health Advisor
When my daughter was 11, she developed a severe form of impetigo that she scratched and that spread all over her body. It took her months of antibiotics to get it cleared. First we were given just an antibiotic cream but when the patches spread she needed to start taking oral tablets as well.
How would you describe your impetigo? Is it localized, just in one place or it has spread?
For not so severe impetigo, doctors always prescribe creams and ointments but if the patches had spread all over the body a person needs to take the pills just like my daughter did.
And it is always an antibiotic, because this skin disease is caused by bacteria.
Have you seen a doc already or you had the problem before?
I never like to do things on my own and get otc products especially because dermatologists always give me just the thing that helps in no time.
Only if you’re certain that it is impetigo what you had developed, you may try to get Neosporin ointment or Mycitracin but I don’t know if you can get it otc.
Make sure you maintain a good hygiene, wash your hands all the time especially after touching the crusts or applying ointments, don’t share your towels, and stay off work while you have blisters. The treatment usually lasts for 7-10 days but the blisters should disappear like 2 days after the treatment had started Before you apply the ointment, make sure you slowly remove al the crusts but don’t do it with your hands but with a gauze or something.

hi there! i went to the docter this mornin and he told me my 3 year old son has impetago! holy smokes...i have no idea what that is...so that is why i am here. All i know is he has to take antibiotic and cream treatment

use the cream and pills as required, take care not to catch it yourself (its VERY infectious, i had it at 7 years old and before i knew i'd even got it i'd spread it to my whole school class.) make sure he doesn't scratch, and check for spreading, if it does start spreading, make sure you start applying cream there too

gurule wrote:

will the scars be permanent?

if scratched alot, the scar CAN be permanent unfortunately, however when i had it i tried not to scratch, and although i did once, it hasn't scarred, all you can do is hope for the best.

my daughter has been recently diagnosed with impetago and i was just wanting to know how this affects women in the early stages of pregnancy as a friend that lives with us is in her 7th week of pregnancy.