My son is 5 and I was shocked when his doctor told me that he has scabies. I would like to know more about this condition. I take good care of him, and really don’t know how he could get it. What is your opinion?

Scabies is a common skin infection that causes small itchy bumps and blisters. They are caused by tiny mites that burrow into the top layer of human skin to lay their eggs that sometimes appear as short, wavy, reddish, or darkened lines on the skin's surface. This is especially the case around the wrists and between the fingers. Scabies is contagious, and is usually transmitted by skin-to-skin contact. It can also be transmitted through sexual contact with someone else who is infected with it. The infection spreads more easily in crowded conditions and in situations where there is a lot of close contact. The most common symptom of scabies is severe itching that is worse at night or after a hot bath. A scabies infection begins as small, itchy bumps, blisters that break when you scratch them and itchy skin can become thick, scaly, scabbed, and crisscrossed with scratch marks. Scabies infection needs to be treated by a doctor, prescribing a medicated cream or lotion to kill the mites. The cream needs to be applied to the skin all over the body and it usually must remain on the skin for 8 to 12 hours before washing it off.