Hi. Ive been going thru this problem and living with it for abt 6 yrs now. Its a very weird thing and only happens to me when Im going out. Whenever I do, for example every morning going to school, I need to use the bathroom. And many times, it happens to me while Im on the train. And its very hard for me to control myself and there have been times when I just had to let it out. This is why I prepare myself and place a whole bunch of tissue paper, so it doesnt end up on my pants. I mean it still does, but not as much because of the tissue.

Anyway I really dont know what to do, because this happens to me ONLY when im going out or when i am out. At home it doesnt happen at all. in fact if im home all week, i happen to have very few bowel movements, which is also very bad.

many people have told me its all in my mind. my mind is basically controlling me, since I have this big fear now, that when i go out, my stomach will hurt and i will need to go to the bathroom. soo ive also tried treating this, by thinking of other things, listening to music, etc. but sadly, that hasnt really helped either.

i just dont know what to do anymore, any help, suggestions? :-(

any help would be appreciated! :-)

I think your first step is to consult with your Primary Care Doctor and rule out any medical issues.

Can you describe how you feel when you are getting ready to go out?

im pretty sure it isnt any major medical problem...because i had a whole stomach/bowel checkup and everything was normal.

this has become pretty much a habit a really bad one. i feel nervous when im out in the morning cuz i keep thinking i need to go...and most of the times i do. but when im at home, i can control myself and sometimes i dont need to go to the bathroom at all.

so yea this has pretty mch affected my whole life. i hardly go anywhere now, except for school :-(

Well I do think this is an unfortunate symptom of anxiety that you have. Without knowing a whole lot more about you I can not really reliably say if this advice will help or not.

What I suggest you do is try to break this pattern. You need to set up a set schedule of eating so you can reliably time your bowel movements. You have to convince yourself that either by the time you leave your house you are cleaned out or that it' not time for a bowel movement.

It does sound like your at the point where you can not reasonably control your bowel movements. I recommend you discuss the possibility of this being related to Anxiety with your doctor and get a referred to a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist. They will be able to help you identify the thought process leading up to these events and hopefully teach you a better way to think about this and gain some structure back in your life.

My mom has a similar issue... everytime we go to the store (and it can be ANY one - grocery, target etc) she has the intense need to go... such that it can't be controlled till we get back home. Whether we buy something or not, we locate the restroom first!
And yes, her medical check ups show all is well... her bowel movements are pretty regular otherwise.

Reading the first post was scary only because i go through the same thing just not to the point where i go on my self. But i still understand it seems like everytime i go any where i get gassy and start to break wind constantly. And it eventually leads to me useing the washroom. But sometimes i can control it if i use the wasroom before i leave out. This all started about a year ago and i just thought it was the stomach flu because it did go away but then it came back and now its all worrie about. Ive given up so much becaues of this, my friends, my job, school, i feel like a loser but im not depressed im just disappointed if any one knows how to get over this please email me at Crisslite@yahoo.com.

It makes me sad to read these posts. I have been dealing with this problem for over 15 years now and it has ruined my life. It started with simply needing to know where every bathroom in town was and has grown to control my life. My wife just asked for a divorce because she can't live like this anymore. I go to work and come home. Please find yourself a "good" therapist and take care of the problem now! I have done everything listed here...upper and lower G.I., every blood test known to man. 2-3 phychitrists and a dozen primary care givers. They all tried treating depression, post traumatic stress etc. I am only depressed because I can't live my life anymore! Make your Dr. understand that the bowel problems only occur when you will be in a public place with the possibility of no restroom. That is all it takes for me. By the way I used to own my own company with 20+ employees and went bankrupt because of my sudden inability to function in public. I post now to urge you to seek help. I tried dealing with it alone for way to long. Good luck.

I have the same problem as the Origional poster. I think this began as a revolving door problem, as when I was young around 4-5th grade there
were two occasions where I had to go in my pants, the saddest part was
both happend right outside my house door as I just almost made it to
a toilet.

Ever since then theres been an anxiety about going out and being
away from a toilet. When I'm at home I hardly have to go to the
bathroom at all and usually can control myself until I reach the
toilet. But whenever I'm out of the house, I worry about having
to go and it becomes very hard to control myself.

I do have to balance my life around this, staying home making sure
I have emptied myself before going anywhere, and I'm typing this from home right after having just had an accident in my pants on the way to work and having to come home to clean up.

I dont know what to do, all I know is my mother does have a similar
issue although we've never really talked about it. I do believe my
aunt has the same problem. I've always wondered if normal people
can excercise some judo like control over their colons where I just
cant keep it in for very long.

Help would be nice :/

have any of you guys had your gall bladder out. I found that when mine was removed I could not eat a lot of the stuff I ate before. I still do of course I could not go without bacon. I just know where all bathrooms are. Anyway a lot of times stuff with trans-fat in it will give you bowel problems. There are a lot of times in the middle of a meal I will have to run to the bathroom. On the plus side it sure keeps the weight off. :-) Just thought I would share because it sounds a lot like what I go through I just go through it everywhere.

I have had this problem as far back as I can remember. I had a Doctor put me on anafranil.it helped about 80% but the side effects were really bad. I sell realestate and wont ride in other peoples cars becasue I cant be in controll. I never know when its comming on. I started playing golf and have had to run to the bushes manytimes. flying on a plane is bad too. they wont let you get up during landing and take off. I have felt the urge but then when I get to the toilet dont need to go. I had another Doctor tell me it was OCD. When I have to fly I dont eat for 3 days prior to the trip so I know I wont have to pooh. Yes a big mess

I have the same problems as PP - I've had to pull over one the expressway more than once and it is so hard now that I have kids because I can't just stop and run in somewhere - I have to get an infant and a todler out. It really is starting to control my life. I had my gallbladder out which helped for a while but not any more. Has anybody found anything that helps??

Having read the following posts makes me sad, but relieved to know that I'm not the only person struggling with this problem. For the past few years, I've struggled with controlling my bowel movements, and it has taken a huge impact on my life. Growing up and dealing with my uncontrollable bowel movements as a child prevented me from functioning. I would be too anxious to go to class, and having to worry about whether or not I will have an incident, so I missed classes regularly. I hardly had any friends, and would always stay home. Several years ago I realized that a combination of anxieties over my stomach problems, and a mixture of a residue diet were some of the influences over my bowel problems. Now I'm much more careful of the kinds of food I put in my mouth, and try to stay away from diary products, Tran’s fact products, raw foods, and certain sautéed dishes. Even though I still struggle with this, I am determine to not let it take over my life any longer.

I'm having the same problem.....I have to start getting ready for work 3
hours before I have to leave. It takes me 25 minutes to walk to work. I stuff my pants with tissue just in case. I plan my walk to work where I know I can get at a toilet fast. I am 5 minutes away from work last week and the hurt stomach and I just had to go. I went into the bushes. This is a real problem for me. I have gone to the Dr. went through the testing and nothing. I have IBS...BUT what do I do??????? LOL

I'm in 11th grade and I've had this problem since I was in kindergarten, but not to the point where I go in my pants. I hate the bathrooms in school since everyone pees all over them so it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable for me to use them. Because of this, I always worry about having to go to the bathroom at school. Most of the time, I have bowel movements literally a minute before my bus comes (I think because of anxiety, I dread school), which means I often miss the bus and I have to have my parents drive me. The problem is, my Dad got a new job where he would be late if he drove me to school, so it just isn't an option for him, and knowing my mom, she would kill me if I made a habit of making her drive me to school, so that's not an option either. It seems like this problem is controlling my life, or at least my mornings. I desperately need to develop a schedule where I have regular bowel movements preferably when I wake up, or before I go to bed.