Hi! I think that my toenail has finally managed to grow deeper than it was supposed to. This happened to me before and I always managed to get the nail out of the side tissue but now I can’t. There is swelling and redness and not to mention pain. What is done when an ingrown toenail goes that far? Thx for the info!

When this happened to me I went straight to podiatrist as it was causing me so much pain. And I had to have a surgery to remove this nail. It didn’t take so much time and I could walk normally two days after. But if it is only mildly inflamed then you won’t maybe even have to have a surgery. In that case, soaking the foot in warm water and placing a piece of dry cotton under the corner of the nail may be all that is needed. If the ingrown toenail gets worse, the inflammation (pain, swelling, and drainage) may increase. An antibiotic ointment can be tried at this stage. It would be good to see a podiatrist so that s/he can evaluate the problem in order for you to solve it as soon as possible.